Is this normal wear and tear? - iPad Air.

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DaBossIsHere, Dec 10, 2013.

1. DaBossIsHere macrumors regular

Is it normal for the Lightning cable scratching the dock port in the iPad Air? Mine has a small scratch, 3 days after I bought it!

2. jsd79 macrumors member

I've had my rMini for a little less than a month, charging it every 3-4 days, and I don't see any scratches around thlightning port on mine. :eek:

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Yes,the lighting connector can scratch the port area, you just have to be real careful when plugging it in.

4. DaBossIsHere thread starter macrumors regular

Damn, had the same issue with my iPad 2 connector. Is there any sort of rubber or something like that, that I can put on top of the Lightning port to protect it? :/

5. pat park macrumors 6502a

Not really as the lightning plug sits flush with the iPads port. I can't see how any kind of bushing or protector could even fit in that tight of space.

6. DaBossIsHere thread starter macrumors regular

Like something on the outside of the port, around the 'cylinder' not on the inside.

7. pat park macrumors 6502a

If you look at the lightning cable plugged into the iPad, it is flush against the iPad. There is no room between the port and th lightning cable plug. I was referring to the outside in my original post. As in between the edge of the iPad and the cable. No room for anything to go in there, when it's plugged in.

8. DaBossIsHere thread starter macrumors regular

Oh ok. Didn't understand you in your first post, my bad. Well, I have got to be more careful in the future.

9. Davejprince macrumors regular

10. mpantone, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

The real issue aren't the cosmetic scratches.

The more serious concern is that if you are jabbing your Lighting connector hard enough to scratch metal, you are probably exerting an amount of force that will damage the Lightning port in the iPad itself, or the contact tip of the Lightning cable.

Cables are cheap enough, but replacing a Lightning port due to rough handling would not be covered under the standard manufacturer's warranty.

The same thing if you roughly unlock doors with your keys. Do this enough and some day you will snap off part of key in the doorknob. Probably at 2am in the freezing rain.

Do you know how much a locksmith charges for a late night house call? You don't want to find out.

11. bobright macrumors 601

It's gotta be a nice stiff and hard insertion when going in, you can't be limp and lazy when inserting in my man. :p

12. DaBossIsHere thread starter macrumors regular

I assure you that i handle my ipad as if it was a baby. I have always been careful inserting the lightning cable but scratches still happened.

13. mpantone macrumors 6502

Okay, if you say so.

I note that there aren't really any other threads here about this specific issue, so it does not appear to be a commonplace occurrence. For what it's worth.

Anyhow, best of luck with your iPad ownership.

14. 1DApple macrumors member

Agreed no scratches here on any iDevice 30 pin or lightning.

15. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

This is a fine example of why punctuation is important.

16. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

This is a fine example of a bump to a thread that should have just died. Next time, please check the date the thread was last posted, and decide if you'll add anything to the conversation by replying.

17. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Oh. You'll have to pardon my incredibly rude indiscretion. My forum etiquette is obviously rusty.

18. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Sorry I was so rude. I've been crabby lately. Sorry again and have fun back on the forums!

19. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

No worries. I appreciate the apology. That's pretty rare around here.