Is this normal when using mbp clamshell mode + 23" ACD and remove magsafe mbp sleeps?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Apr 29, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Ok, I have my mbp in clamshell mode and hooked up to a 23" ACD.. but when I take the magsafe connector off the 23" ACD display shuts off and the mbp goes to sleep... is this normal????

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i dont know if its normal or not but there was another thread about it here recently

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Man with all these problems I might exchange my mbp for a macbook... at least the macbooks are way cheap and I can tolerate these kinds of problems... :(

4. danny_w macrumors 601

I know that I read somewhere that is normal for a Macbook, so I assume it is also normal for a Pro. I know that my MB acts like that, and always has. I will try to find a reference for you.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

macbook isnt going to run a 23" ACD as well as the MBP will (when working right)

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I believe that clamshell mode only works while plugged into your AC adapter.

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Ditto.

when there's a plug nearby for the external, why not use it with the Macbook..I think this is what Apple is assuming you would do.

8. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

My MBP and 23" ACD have always worked that way (i.e. no AC = sleep). Ditto when I use my MBP with a Sammy 245B at work.

Edit: this is the way I want it to work. It makes connecting/disconnecting simple.

9. danny_w macrumors 601

10. danny_w macrumors 601

My Macbook works flawlessly with my 24" (same resolution as a 23" ACD). It is supposed to sleep when unplugged (with an external display) to conserve battery.

11. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Whew, thanks guys I'm glad at least this is normal! I have had no other problems whatsoever except the magsafe green led light going off sometimes.. but still charges.