Is this normal?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ibuyufo, Jan 29, 2011.

1. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I just got my Ipad 64gb 3G yesterday but I was watching Netflix today right before bed with the lights off and noticed about 4 or 5 spots that were brighter than the rest of the screen. The brightness was set at around 50%. Do you guys get the same thing?

Attached Files:

2. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Edge backlight bleeding :(

I think many/most/all iPads will exhibit this to some degree. Some very little, others quite a lot.
    If you are in a pitch black room and turn the brightness up, on a blank screen to 100% then there will be variations and areas, perhaps along/around the sides which are brighter than others.

In your case, I'd take it back. At 50% brightness, I'd not accept such obvious spots and would always distract me. If you only saw them at 100%, well it would not be great, but would not be quite as bad.

Normal computer monitors are the same and you can, with some models show this be squeezing the case/frame of the monitor around the edges.
    I'm thinking it's due to the display being pinched by the casing, which varies from device to device a little bit.

3. hfletcher macrumors 6502

hfletcher

My iPad is quite similar. There is a lot of bleed around the edges, which can be distracting when it's against a black background. Though I personally don't find it too bad. Though I guess the amount varies which each one.

4. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Maybe it's worse in person, but I don't see anything in that picture that warrants taking it back.

5. ibuyufo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys for your replies. I expected a little bit better quality control after paying all this for it so I was quite surprised when I saw it. It's pretty distracting watching a movie with the back light bleeding. I guess it's time for a visit to the apple store :(

6. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

yeah that sucks, i replaced 5 ipads (started from launch day) because of either colour issues, dirt behind glass or the edge light bleeding (which was the most common as it was on all of them) the one I have now has only slight edge bleed so iv decided to keep it since and its not bothered me, but before hand it was so distracting while watching movies in bed etc.

Take it back and get it swapped.

7. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

If it happens only with that movie or other bad quality movies, it's Netflix's problem. If it happens with all movies and video, exchange the iPad.

8. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

I think perhaps you may need to adjust your monitor or your room brightness, it's backlight edge bleeding. It's nothing to do with the movie. It's a physical screen issue that affect virtually every LCD monitor for some degree.

9. elan123 macrumors 6502

This :)

10. ibuyufo thread starter macrumors 6502

haha I would not be here if it was just that movie! It's pretty clear where the movie is at and where the black bars run into the edge of the ipad. Anything with black bars or displaying black you will see the light bleed.

I went to the Apple store today and they replaced it but gave me a remanufactured ipad since I didn't get it from the apple store. I think that kinda sucks that I got a refurb because I didn't buy it from apple. The genius was pretty nice and we'll see what I got later tonight.

11. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

You should be more grateful that they agreed to swap it. I don't see anything that justifies a replacement. Perhaps in person it is worse, but all LCDs have this artifact.

12. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

To varying degree's some far worse than others.
    You should not have to be thankful that you had it swapped over, esp as you got a refurb and not a brand new unit.
    Apple is a premium high end brand, and their quality control should be better than cheaper brands. You should expect things like this to be at least as good as cheaper items from other companies.

13. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Problem solved.

14. ibuyufo thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like this one looks better. While putting the screen cover I noticed a slight scratch on the screen. It's very small and not noticeable except at an angle the the screen is off. Could that scratch become a weak point on the screen where it might become easier to crack?