Is This Normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Aug 30, 2011.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.3ghz - Crucial M4 128GB

I've noticed that the available space of my drive fluctuates with the amount of applications running. For instance, I had Photoshop open last night and the available space dropped down to around 91GB, then as soon as I closed it, my available space rose to like 93-94GB. At one point earlier, I could have sworn my drive was reading 65GB free. Hopefully, I was just seeing things.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It's probably to do with the Page Ins and Outs that your computer is doing. Can you post a screen shot of your Activity Monitor, 'System Memory' tab?

3. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure why my computer allocates RAM like that?

Attached Files:

4. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Indeed.

Your computer is using your SSD as virtual memory. Which would explain the fluctuation. Stick 8GB in that sucker.

6. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Photoshop is a RAM hungry application. Thus, I'm routinely running low. A few observations while running low on memory:

5400RPM Hitachi Stock Drive: Had become very laggy. As an example, clicking through tabs on a browser was very slow.

Crucial M4: No such lag, but the system may completely freeze or beach ball. Although it may do that with few applications open.

7. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

SSDs are fast, but nowhere near the speed of RAM.