Is this normal ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hamid525, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Hamid525 macrumors newbie

Every time I open skype I see that it uses up to 50% of my CPU on activity montior and kernel_task always operates with it side by side using 20-30% of CPU as well. This causes the temperature to go up to 70 C and my fan to go around 4000 rpm.

I would just like to make sure this is not harming my Mac and if this is normal behaviour.

Thank You Guys in advance :)

PS. Running OSX 10.8.2 on Mid 2010 Macbook Pro.

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Hamid525 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I have Skype open throughout the day and never notice any fan or temperature problems.

It's possible that over many, many hours, the speed of the fan will wear them out faster.

Regarding the temperature, it does seem a little hot, but I don't think it will harm anything.

To answer your question: No, I don't believe it's normal for Skype to speed up your fans that much and heat up your system to 70 C.

5. simsaladimbamba

Then that is normal, as the video the MBP's camera records has to be compressed in order to be uploaded as fast as it can in order to be available by the recipient in almost real time.

6. Hamid525 thread starter macrumors newbie

On idle mode I have no problem with skype either only when I video chat that it gets starts using a lot of CPU.