Is this normal?

PixieGirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Serious question. My first time ever owning iPhone's and this one I just got yesterday and barely has anything on it. Should capacity be that low with nothing on it? Granted it's only a 16gb but all I did was turn it on. Sorry for the dumb question I'm just totally new to iPhones.

Attachments

PixieGirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
I figured it was the IOS 8 eating up the gb just wanted to make sure it wasn't something else.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
Serious question. My first time ever owning iPhone's and this one I just got yesterday and barely has anything on it. Should capacity be that low with nothing on it? Granted it's only a 16gb but all I did was turn it on. Sorry for the dumb question I'm just totally new to iPhones.
My iPhone 5 has 12.7 GB so your capacity is ok. (More features on a 6)

What you always have to keep in mind is this: 16 GB != 16 GB as weird as it sounds.

Operating Systems always say that Giga means 1024^3 whereas Giga on the Storage means 1000^3... So 16*1000*3 = 16.000.000.000 Bits. Divide This with 1024^3 and you get around 14.9 GB in reality. This is not an Apple isolated thing, but they really shouldn't do this..

Install the OS on it and you get your 11.8 GB of actually free storage.

PixieGirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Thank you! I had a iPhone 5 for a very short time so I never bothered to go over it like I am these new phones. Thanks again for the help and explanation. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.