Is this normal?

wksj

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2015
I am watching a movie with subtitles, and during dark scenes, the whole screen gets brighter when there is a subtitle (white text) and then goes darker when the subtitle is gone. This is very annoying. Is it normal?

Attachments

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2015
random
Which video player are you using and are the subtitles embedded in the file or external (which means you can switch them off and on) or are they hardcoded?

wksj

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2015
Does not happen for me in Safari on Yosemite.
I am using Safari on Yosemite as well. Could you try and see if this happens on House of Cards Season 3 Episode 3 from 43:25 to 43:50?

Do you have auto brightness on?
Yes. I disabled it after seeing your post, and it didn't change anything.

I found this thread, seems like it's the same thing but on a Samsung TV: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433026/lcd-tv-flickers-during-dark-scenes-is-this-a-common-problem

Last edited:

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2015
random
I am using Safari on Yosemite as well. Could you try and see if this happens on House of Cards Season 3 Episode 3 from 43:25 to 43:50?
Sorry, but my not US Netflix does not allow me season 3 yet. Luckily it was available via other means. When do they get their **** together, seeing as I could watch Sense8 on the day of the release and am now watching Grace & Frankie. Idiots.

Tried another browser to see if the problem is "universal"?

wksj

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2015
Sorry, but my not US Netflix does not allow me season 3 yet. Luckily it was available via other means. When do they get their **** together, seeing as I could watch Sense8 on the day of the release and am now watching Grace & Frankie. Idiots.

Tried another browser to see if the problem is "universal"?
I just tried Firefox, and it is not doing that; but it is always bright -like the left half of the picture I posted. I guess I'll have to live with that, or watch stuff without subtitles.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.