Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
So, my friend asked me to help him build a computer. Ok. So I start looking and I have this urge to do one of my own.

I don't have the cash for such an endeavor though. So I would have to sell my Mac. I don't want to start a argument, but something in me wants the power. A more powerful sweet and beautiful custom machine.... Someone talk me out of it.

The real natch is.... no OS X. I love OS X. Seriously I don't think I could live without it anymore. I think leopard will make me think twice about this.

I haven't once found myself feeling like this since I switched a few years ago... Anyone have any advice?

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
Uhh yeah don't sell the Mac, your logic makes absolutely no sense. You can't live w/o it, but are willing to sell it in the hopes of making a computer that is both better looking and faster than the combined effort of Intel an Apple.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Don't get rid of your Mac perhaps?
Save a bit up and sell your Mac and buy another Mac? Otherwise I don't know how you'll have your OS X if you build a PC (I'm assuming English is not your first language cause that part was a little confusing).

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Exactly why would you want to do this?

Everyone I know that has built their own system runs into problems and spends more money than they would have just buying a Dell. ...I just don't understand it.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
English is my first language!!! Sorry I wasn't being clear.

I want OS X, but I have these feelings that I could possibly do without it. Sorry, it is really a fresh thought and it is late...

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
maybe you could sell your mac and come back to mac os x later when leopard and new hardware does come out?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
you nailed it. OS X. Think about the gorgeous font smoothing, the slick effects of Exposé, the immunity against viruses (virii?), all those little apps lined up in the dock... do you really want to leave that, and much more, behind?

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
maybe you could sell your mac and come back to mac os x later when leopard and new hardware does come out?

except around here they like to rape you on the price of your mac. I don't think I can do it, I just haven't really felt like this in awhile.

Just wondering if anyone else has these kinds of feelings. Like, you love the Mac but the other side is just a little better on the power side.

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
except around here they like to rape you on the price of your mac. I don't think I can do it, I just haven't really felt like this in awhile.

Just wondering if anyone else has these kinds of feelings. Like, you love the Mac but the other side is just a little better on the power side.

But look at the power of a mac pro, thats more power than most people could ever need (at a large cost of course)

Dont go over to the dark side of the hardware, stay on the sleek white side of the force, i mean hardware.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois

Now and then there are times when Apple's relatively small portfolio doesn't seem to have anything to match the absolute most powerful option at some other manufacturer, but Apple is always slow to adopt.

Like how long it took C2D Macbooks to come out, and Quad-core Mac Pros are surely right around the corner.

You'll always be able to find faster processors and more memory for less at some other manufacturer. But I always find the benefits of owning an Apple are worth the extra cost for me.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
But look at the power of a mac pro, thats more power than most people could ever need (at a large cost of course)

Dont go over to the dark side of the hardware, stay on the sleek white side of the force, i mean hardware.

It is more than that though, it is the tweaking though.

Also, a custom Core 2 seems more snappy than a Mac Pro. Don't get me wrong the Mac Pro is a beast and I did have one for some time, but its power is limited to a degree. And I can't really tweak it...

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
I say go for it. And then when you realize your mistake and cry to yourself every time you have to use windows, you will get no pity from us. In fact, we will take delight in your misery.

Just kidding :p

In all seriousness...don't do it. It's not worth it. Power or no. Trust me, I just switched and will never...ever look back.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
I understand the feeling - I used to work at a local computer store that built custom machines and I enjoyed building and working on them but I found that I was significantly less productive on a PC.

You just need to find another hands on hobby or buy some Legos.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
I love my computers, but seriously get a grip. You are talking about this like it is a life or death matter that will throw you and the world out of orbit. And to the person that asked if the OP was ESL, I thought the exact same thing.

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
I love my computers, but seriously get a grip. You are talking about this like it is a life or death matter that will throw you and the world out of orbit. And to the person that asked if the OP was ESL, I thought the exact same thing.

Was this comment directed towards me? Because I was just making a joke. You know, something that should be taken lightly. Anyways, maybe I'll just make serious comments from here on out. You know, to get a "grip".

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
No it was not at you at all, you are just fine. "Get a grip" is for suneohair and I was agreeing w/ GimeSlack12's ESL comment.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Here's how you make a buying decision:

1) List your goals for the purchase and rate their importance
2) Find a solution that meets most of those goals
3) Weigh that decision against the alternative

So for instance, if your list of goals in order of importance is (rating 1= not important, 5=Must have)

5 - Have fun building my own computer
4 - very powerful
2 - must be reliable
2 - OS X
1 - have it to use soon

Then you probably want to build your own computer if building it yourself is more important to you than the combined weight of OS X, reliability, and having it to use soon. You'd have the DIY experience you're looking for, but you don't care much about reliability, OS X, or having it ready to use soon.

But if you're list is

5 - OS X
4 - Have fun building my own computer
4 - very powerful
4 - must be reliable
3 - have it to use soon

Then you probably want to buy a mac if building it yourself isn't worth giving up OS X, reliability, having it to use soon, etc.

Make your list, then you'll have your answer.

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
No it was not at you at all, you are just fine. "Get a grip" is for suneohair and I was agreeing w/ GimeSlack12's ESL comment.

haha, okay. Sorry I got bent out of shape. Lack of sleep will do that to you...and on that note. g'night everyone. Maybe we'll hear something about Leopard tomorrow?! Hey I can get my hopes up.

(and that new post from Thinksecret doesn't count...any idiot knows it will have to come out at least by June, they make it seem like they know something we don't...even though we suspected this Leopard in June thing for quite a while now.)

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Plus, if you're just lusting after getting into a DIY computer project for fun, there are lots of cheap ways to do it.

For instance, lots of people get their kicks by maxing and tweaking old hardware to make it into a (relative) ultra power monster! There's something really delicious about finally getting that specific old Mac (or pc) that you lusted after many years ago and then making it into a freakishly powerful monster that would've cost $25,000 when it was new and would've been the envy of every geek around the world.

For me, I want to get that first tower mac that had a case with color on it, the shiny blue and white G3 (when all the past computers were beige) because it seemed SO radical at the time - a colorful computer case, wild! Then I'd go crazy stuffing it to the gills with the max amount of ram that it can handle, a huge hard drive, the fastest PCI video card ever made, etc. If you hunt for deals on these old part, which is totally part of the fun, you can do a project like this for a couple of hundred dollars total.

So you can get your techie geek thrills while still having a modern mac to get your real work done.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
Plus, if you're just lusting after getting into a DIY computer project for fun, there are lots of cheap ways to do it...So you can get your techie geek thrills while still having a modern mac to get your real work done.

Seriously brilliant solution. You don't always have to have one or the other.

I understand your complex, OP. You feel like you can build a custom, tricked out C2D Windows machine for about a $1,000 that will be on or around par with a Mac Pro that costs 3x as much, right? So, is cost, performance, or OS causing you to want to switch? Or maybe it's your PC buddies nagging you about using a Mac and trying to show that their PC is superior....

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I have two homebrew gaming PCs and an iBook; even though my gaming PC is way more powerful than the iBook, I use the iBook for probably 95% of my computing, including significant casual gaming (World of Warcraft and DotA mostly), because OS X does things so much nicer than Windows does. Stick with your Mac, and build up your PC bit by bit, starting with components that won't go obsolete anytime soon. For example, a current case, power supply, hard and optical drives, and most peripherals will all work just as well if you build your PC a year from now if you are smart when picking them out.

Once those components are in place, save your money and try to buy your mobo/CPU/GPU/RAM to make at the same time to make sure you get as much longevity out of your PC as you can. Just be careful: trying to stay on top of the performance game in the PC will end up costing you a great deal of money, and it is way too easy to get caught up in it.

ready2switch

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2006
I have some questions for you.

Do you need a monster machine? Sure building a custom machine might be fun, but what are you going to do with it once it's built? Are you going to want to be on it? Maintain it? Do anti-virus and anti-spyware? Work/play in XP or Vista? Have you figured out exactly how much money this project will cost? Or how long it would take you? What are you going to use while you build this "beautiful, sweet" machine?

No offense, but it sounds to me like you're bored. Find a hobby that you don't have to give your Mac up for. :D

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
I have some questions for you.

Do you need a monster machine? Sure building a custom machine might be fun, but what are you going to do with it once it's built? Are you going to want to be on it? Maintain it? Do anti-virus and anti-spyware? Work/play in XP or Vista? Have you figured out exactly how much money this project will cost? Or how long it would take you? What are you going to use while you build this "beautiful, sweet" machine?

No offense, but it sounds to me like you're bored. Find a hobby that you don't have to give your Mac up for. :D

I have plenty of hobbies and am by no means bored.

This is really just getting back my roots. Before I switched I built computers. It is something that I enjoyed doing. When I came into contact with it again, I missed it a bit.

I will want to be on it. Maintain isn't an issue I did it for years and still do it for others. Anti-virus and spyware aren't an issue for me. Don't know how much it will cost, but that isn't really an issue, I know I would have to sell my Mac.

Building won't take long. If I get the parts on one go (which I will) it will be done in a few hours tops.

piltupso

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2006
Sounds like you have already made up your mind and are just hoping for someone to talk you out of it.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.