Is this normal???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PowerFullMac, Oct 24, 2007.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

When I use my iTouch to watch videos, listen to music etc. the battery is fine, a 1/2 hour video only took a bit off my battery, and I can listen to music for a long time as well, also even do a few third party thing without tkaing to much off the battery, BUT when I turn my WiFi on, the whole battery will die in about 1/2 hour when fully charged. Today, the battery was half way full, I turned the WiFi on, open Installer, installed Finder, turned it off, the whole thing took litrally a minute or two, but when I checked the battery it had that red meter, and I got a message saying my battery was low! Also, the range of the WiFi sucks! A network my PSP (802.11b) connects to fine dosent even show up half the time on my Touch (which im sure is 802.11g!) and when it does the connection is very weak. Is that normal? Should I restore? Try and get a replacement?

Thanks in advance.

2. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I dont know this for a fact, but it seems like that third party apps are def. taking their toll on my battery life. I try to just turn wifi off completely. I just envision myself taking an ipod cord and the charger brick everywhere I go from now on.

That sucks. My battery life before the hacks wasnt that great to be honest. I think the battery life is 24 hours with constant playback without touching the thing. Ive also had my ipod completely charged, turned it off, turned it on and it says that i have about 80% battery life. I think that the battery probably has more than the ipod is reporting. Maybe the software that reports the battery life is a little amiss.

Also, i would ask, what can a firmware update really do to the battery life. I know about every 4 months I get a battery update on my PPC laptop which I find interesting.

anyone know?
    Arisian

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

-I always turn WiFi off because when its on, even if its not connected, it literally takes up my battery life in about 30 minutes.
    -Same here, but my general battery life is nothing outside the normal really, im worried about the WiFi's effects on the battery life
    -Dont hijack my thread!

4. leckie macrumors member

Since installing 3rd party apps my battery life has taken a bit of a hit, nothing too dramatic yet but i'm charging it up every few days when my nano was like once a week max.

5. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

oh, sorry... didnt mean to hijack your thread... seriously. Just though knowing about the battery as whole might help answer our questions.

Thanks,
    Arisian

6. dagored macrumors 65816

I fly a great deal so I bought this:
    http://www.batterygeek.net/Batterygeek_100_Hr_iPhone_and_iPod_Battery_Pack_p/geekpod_100_black.htm

[​IMG]

Works great. Smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

7. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Ok, sorry about that, but laptop and iPod batterys are completely different (I think? Not too sure about batterys)

But does anyone else have that problem with their WiFi, how long is you battery life with the WiFi on?

8. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

lasted 3 hours with a movie on and wifi before I hacked it. Don't know now.

9. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Mine always has wifi on and I haven't noticed any lifetime difficulties (and devicescape keeps it connected when I'm around town too) but watching video and listening to music are real battery killers.

10. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

11. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Now I know there is something wrong with my iPod, im going to see if downloading Services.app and turning off SSH works, also im going to turn off "Ask to Join Networks" in Settings, see what that does. Im gonig to keep my iPod right here with WiFi on now i've changed the settings and see what happens.

12. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

WiFi has been on for 10 minutes and the battery hasent drained at all, I think the problem was I had "Ask to Join Networks" on, off now and all is fine :D :cool:

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've heard many many times that SSH is a battery killer. I keep SSH off unless I need to connect to my iPod through FTPS... Services.app really rocks!

14. dagored macrumors 65816

Yes, and with my cellphone, etc. Read the site I posted.

15. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

16. dagored macrumors 65816

When I received it I was shocked by its size. It is much smaller than I expected. Very happy with it and the free bag is great to carry the geekpod, the Touch cables. etc.

Just a very happy customer.

17. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

18. dagored macrumors 65816

The airlines are not consistent. thats the problem. I have an adapter that takes power from the headphone jack. Some planes are different.

19. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Just to confirm, WiFi dosent suck all my power anymore (yay) but the range still sucks (boo!).