Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SkyBell, Dec 9, 2007.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

My brother just got a hand-me-down laptop from my dad, it's an HP with a 600 MHz Pentium III, with a 20 GB HDD and 256 MB of RAM, running Windows ME.

My iBook G3 has an 800 MHZ G3, 30 GB HDD and the same amount of RAM, running Tiger.

Obviously, the iBook is superior, but I find myself jealous anyway.

Maybe it's the fact that he got it absolutely free, while I worked my @$$ off to scrimp together the $365 needed to pay for my iBook, and his HP has no problems whatsoever, while my iBook has a really horrible battery, and as if that wasn't bad enough, a dying logic board.

Even so, I find it weird I am jealous of a computer inferior to my own, and I begin to wonder why.

Anyone have some insight? Is it human nature to be jealous of something, even though the something we have is better?

2. chriswheat macrumors regular

I can share your feelings. I just finished cleaning off an old G5 iMac that my mother-in-law is giving to my mother. Meanwhile, I was using my 15" MacBook Pro, which is far superior to the G5 iMac. But I kept finding myself jealous of the "new" computer and the chance to have something new and for free.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Dudette, jealousy (or more accurately, DESIRE) is everywhere; none of us are immune to it. The best solution I've found is detachment. Learn to let go of desire, and envy (which is just a manifestation of desire) will leave as well. It's much easier said than done, but it does work. Your relationships with your family are worth more than any computer. Put things in priority, and it'll help free yourself from wanting "stuff".

Hope some of this helps. I'm still working on it too.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's Windows ME. Use it for 20 minutes, and after 18 of those minutes are spent waiting for the thing to boot after it crashes and/or blue screens, you won't be jealous :D Windows ME was hands down the worst version of Windows in history, and I think the fact that it didn't stick around for long (About 12 and a half months after ME was released, XP was released) is proof that Microsoft agrees.

5. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Human beings are highly self-interested. At least you're smart and honest enough to admit your feelings, instead of pining for something secretly.

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Throw it off a building. Give in to the dark side!
    :cool:

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

8. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Yeah, its normal. Its something you don't have, therefore you just gotta.

Same thing happened all the time when my uncle had extra PC laptops for sale. I'd ask my aunt about one and she'd just go "I thought you were holding out for a Mac." and I'd just kind of shrug and go, "Yeah, I am, but..."

Just continue feeling superior. Your iBook beats the crap out of that laptop any day.

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Be happy for your brother...at least you know he won't ask you to use your ibook.

Bless

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well it is windows ME :p

There is always a positive to everything in life and I think your dad will remember that you worked hard for yours and your borther just got given one. Things will even out in the long run it is just hard to see it on the short term scale.

12. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I don't think it's normal to be jealous of a Windows ME laptop. Even if you had Vista instead of OSX, it still wouldn't be normal :)

13. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I had to use ME for almost 3 years on a 700 P3. Its absolute torture. I reinstalled more times than I can count! I used to pre-emptivly reinstalled every month just because I knew it was comming! I'd take a crappy ibook any day.

14. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

I understand that (even compared to my iBook) it's a total piece of crap, but it's all he needs. All he ever does is MySpace. Ever. I seriously have never seen him on a different website. I don't think that can justify being given a laptop.

Whatever, I'm just gonna end up right back where I started if I continue this post. I suppose I'll get over it in a week or two.

15. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

It's a sibling thing. You're not jealous of something, but of someone. Psych 101 and all that. Now had your father given your brother a hand-me-down iBook, then we talk about justifiable rage.

16. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

If you're going to use the HP, at least install Windows 2000 on it. 2000 was the best Windows ever.

17. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

well its simple youve got a mac and he doesnt! Simple

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i get jealous when my mom used to get my brothers candy and not me.....

19. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

20. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I can also vouch for ME, installed it, 3 days later, completely corrupted the hard drive, lost everything, as someone said above, if its not taking painfully long to boot, it's BSoDing.

I'd easily take a iBook over a ME machine no matter what the specs.

21. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Supposed to be getting a black MacBook for collage, but for now the iBook does it's job. I have a mini as my main machine anyway, the iBook is sort of just a toy.

I suppose it is normal to be jealous of an object you don't have, even though said object sucks. :p

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

NEVER, EVER be jealous of anything running Windows ME. Without a doubt the biggest piece of crap put out by Microsoft.