is this normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pattman247, Apr 13, 2008.

1. pattman247 macrumors regular

I just got a new blackbook and I noticed if I put it in my backpack for a while there would be a line on the screen, where the top of the trackpad meets the keyboard. Now I am wondering if this may become a potential issue of the screen getting scratched up over the years, or months :eek: which would sick, and I would like to avoid this issue now I guess. I have the incase hard shell on, maybe that is causing more pressure on the screen? how should I deal with this. the line can be wiped off, maybe its just my keyboard is dirty.

2. asme macrumors regular

It's just dust from the keys. I figure wipe it off every now and then and you're gonna be fine. The recessed keyboard design of the Macbook makes it much better than the old iBooks, whose keyboard would actually hit and scuff the screen. Wipe every now and then and you're gonna be safe in this way.

3. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Sounds like pressure on the screen. When in your backpack I would make sure you keep in maybe nearer the back and supported by whatever else is in there.

Use a sleeve of some description and maybe try it without the hard shell for a while to see if that makes a difference. If it is only in your bag with the hard shell dirt might well be getting in.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You can also get an ultra thin microfibre cloth that sits between the keyboard and screen. I believe Marware sells them as a "protection pack".

5. pattman247 thread starter macrumors regular

So I am guessing all macbooks experience this line on the screen if put into a tight space like a backpack?

6. KompleX macrumors regular

i can only assume that every macbook will experience the same issue if too much pressure is applied to it. although it sounds to me that calling it "normal" is an excuse to allow this kind of thing to happen, and place blame on apple if the screen would ever become permanently damaged because of this. you need to take better care of your macbook before YOU damage it.

7. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I just place the black microfiber cloth that came with the MB in the middle of my keyboard before I close it and put it in my bag, since most of the scratching issues I've heard about are from the space bar area, and this works for me at no extra cost.

8. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Agreed. I personally use an iKlear microfiber keyboard cloth that came with an industrial sized bottle of iKlear I purchased a year ago.

My PowerBook 12" had permanent lines on the LCD where the keyboard hit the LCD when closed. I learned a hard lesson with my PowerBook and now will always place a microfiber cloth between my keyboard and LCD on all future notebooks.

9. pugple macrumors member

Is that called the "travel" microfiber cloth? Mine is all bendy and doesn't lay out flat so I'm just using the foam that originally came with it.