Is this normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ctt713, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Ctt713 macrumors member

Hey all I just got my first Iphone (3gs 32gb) and am new to the forums. I have been reading a ton of threads about battery questions and problems and they have all been pretty extreme i.e. having 10 hour standby usage. Well I don't have that much of a problem but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if its just me or I should exchange my Iphone. I am sitting at 27% battery life after 3 hrs 48 min usage and 7 hrs 32 min standby. I have wifi and push off but i do have 3g on and my screen brightness is only a little over half way. 95% of the usage has been text messages with a little 3-4 minute video. It just doesnt seem right my sisters 3g can go all day with 40% or more battery life left and I am having to charge once-twice a day. Any help would be appreciated.

2. natwii60 macrumors newbie

yea that seems about normal if your using it for almost 4 hours with about 27% left. with that much left you'll get at most 1 hr more of usage depending on what features you use. i get that on both my new 3gs and my old 3g. i average 4.5hrs usage with phones calls, many texts, internet and music without headphones.

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

That's standard.
    You're just using your phone a lot.

4. Ctt713 thread starter macrumors member

Dang ok i was hoping it was my battery because I wouldn't think just texting would be as battery intensive as surfing the internet or playing games.

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Either way, you're still downloading data over 3G.

6. cobalt135 macrumors regular

Using only 3G I could see this happening depending on signal strength and stuff. Apple only lists up to 5 hours talk time on 3G. Yeah, you were texting but like JBaker said it is still data over the network.

7. Ctt713 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't think about the data part of it that would make sense since I have received a little over 6 mb

8. TLewis macrumors 65816

How many txt messages are we talking about?

Each msg requires the phone to fire up the power-hungry 3G transmitter (assuming 3G is enabled, which you do have enabled). A few messages won't make a difference. A lot will.

I ask because some people will send 100++ texts a day. :D