Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

act1980

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on this site for a while but have only just registered due to buying my first MB Pro today.

I got it home and went to open the box but noticed that the seal sticker had been cut open, and on top of that seal another clear seal sticker had been put over it.

Should I be concerned? It's my very first Mac and never in all my years of buying computers have I experienced this. I called the store in Southampton where I brought it but I wasn't convinced with the answer I was given. The guy told me they sometimes do this if the seal gets cut open during transit? I find this very odd.

I would like to know if anyone has ever had this happen to them? I know quite a few of you only buy Macs so I figured this would be the best place to ask.

What do you suggest I do? Many thanks for your help! :)

Betelgeuse

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
This sounds a little fishy, but it's possible their explanation is good. I'm not sure there's a whole lot you can do now. Did you open the box? If not, I might take it back and get one with the seal intact. It's almost certainly nothing significant, but if you can get one with the seal intact, that will give you piece of mind.

If you've already opened it, does the computer seem "new"? Do you have any concerns that someone has slipped a used computer into the box? If everything seems fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

act1980

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did open the box. I didn't think anything of it at the time as I was so excited at having a new Mac. It was my bf that thought it was odd and then I started thinking about it.

The screen did have some finger marks on it so I am assuming it had been out of the box. There are also a few marks on the bottom of the computer which I have not done. Thing is, if I call Apple what are they likely to say? Are they quite good with situations like this? I don't want to pay £1000 for a 'new' Mac if it's been used/handled before.

This sounds a little fishy, but it's possible their explanation is good. I'm not sure there's a whole lot you can do now. Did you open the box? If not, I might take it back and get one with the seal intact. It's almost certainly nothing significant, but if you can get one with the seal intact, that will give you piece of mind.

If you've already opened it, does the computer seem "new"? Do you have any concerns that someone has slipped a used computer into the box? If everything seems fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did open the box. I didn't think anything of it at the time as I was so excited at having a new Mac. It was my bf that thought it was odd and then I started thinking about it.

The screen did have some finger marks on it so I am assuming it had been out of the box. There are also a few marks on the bottom of the computer which I have not done. Thing is, if I call Apple what are they likely to say? Are they quite good with situations like this? I don't want to pay £1000 for a 'new' Mac if it's been used/handled before.

I'd call them up. A few years ago a MBP i ordered from the online store came with a broken screen right out of the box. I called them ASAP and as soon as they saw I shipped it back they sent me a brand new one. I don't think they'll be suspicious and give you a hard time about it unless you wait a while to call.

act1980

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I'd call them up. A few years ago a MBP i ordered from the online store came with a broken screen right out of the box. I called them ASAP and as soon as they saw I shipped it back they sent me a brand new one. I don't think they'll be suspicious and give you a hard time about it unless you wait a while to call.

Wow, that was really not good.

I would have called them today but they were closed so I will call them first thing tomorrow morning. I just hope they will send me another one, I have been waiting for months to have my MB and will be gutted if they don't help me :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.