Is this normal...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZackVLion, Jul 20, 2010.

1. ZackVLion macrumors member

Everyone is talking about the "grip of death"....but i seem to have crappy reception (not just bars -- webpages take forever to load, etc) sometimes compared to 3G even when i'm not touching it....Is this normal, or is it possible my particular iphone 4 has issues and i should exchange it?

tl;dr: should my iphone 4 have worse reception than my 3g even if im not touching it?

2. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Not normal.

I'd restore the phone "as new" (not backup). If that doesn't work, I'd take it back.

3. ZackVLion thread starter macrumors member

Just took your advice and did a complete wipe...guess what? data/reception problem is fixed! working great!

If i restore my old backup tho, will they return?

4. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

The replacement phone is probably going to be the same, or possibly have some other new issue. just food for thought.

5. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I'm not sure if we're experiencing the same issue but I've notice sorta the same thing. My iP4 can be sitting at my work desk (I sit next to the window) where before I used to get really good reception with my 3G, and now I'm getting 2 bars or so. There's even times when I wake the screen it goes from one bar to 4, then back to 3.

Other times, it can be in my pocket and when I take it out, same thing happens, zero bars to 4. This has also happened in my house which again, I never experience with 3G.

Could my phone be defective?

last note, all this has been happening even w 4.0 and now 4.0.1.

6. ZackVLion thread starter macrumors member

So I did the complete wipe of my iphone and now my bars have gone from 3 bars in my house -> 5 bars (yes i have 4.0.1) and my data slowness/issues have gone away....

Also, before the grip of death would make my bars go down a lot...now it barely goes down 1....wonder if this would fix for other people, too?

7. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I guess I'll give it a try when I get home. Either way, I still scheduled an appointment w apple to see what they tell me this time around.

The first time I went, they told me to wait for 4.0.1, telling me that would fix the grip of death... Boy, where they wrong.

8. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

So if anyone cares, I just finish restoring the iPhone to "New". My bars still don't seems consistent but we'll see. I'm just waiting for everything finish syncing. Keep you posted.

9. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

yeahhh, still not getting a consistent signal..