Is this offer too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by juliancs, Jan 18, 2010.

1. juliancs macrumors 6502

So I'm selling my MBP so I can buy my imac 27". It's a 2.93ghz, with 4GB RAM, 320HD and the first year's guarantee only runs out end of Feb. I have applecare on it. I've received nothing but scammers from gumtree and facebook, and put it up on ebay yesterday.

I got an email from a guy, seemingly genuine, offering my starting price at ebay for a cash & collect - this starting price is a tiny bit under what I can accept, but I'll take it to save the hassle.

Now, he seems genuine, and unfortunately I was trying to fault him. I googled the phone number he gave me, and lots and lots of classified ads came up, using that number. The names used were one of two people, but never his. Perhaps it could be a family? He has 15 positive reviews on facebook, and seems to sell macs and other things all the time. IF he wants o buy this off me and resell at a higher value, I don't care. I googled the email address in his other ads, and it links to a seller at ebay with 880 positive reviews, for all sorts of electronics second hand. Cash only, pickup only etc. Just seems very odd where they get all this stuff.

I'm only worried about getting scammed here. I thought that perhaps (quite common in this area) that he will come and pick the laptop up from me, and thus see my house and later rob me, or mug me there and then for it. So I wrote back and suggested we meet in town, and he was fine with that. I will bring a few friends to protect against anything. I also need him to wait 2 weeks while I get the imac (hopefully ordering today), as I work on the computer and cannot go a day without. He said that's fine as well, and to just call him when ready.

I feel terrible if this guy is legit - he's been very polite and nice, and given me no reason to doubt him. I really, really need the sale. I'm just trying to protect myself but can't seem to fault the approach I'm taking now.

What do you think?

2. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

i think your plan sounds good. Although he seems nice, you never know until you actually meet him. Just bring a couple of dudes when you do the deal just incase. And hey, if he's actually nice, you may make a new friend.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Meet him in a cafe or another public and busy place, and check the cash he gives you feels like real money. If you aren't an American (as they have silly money with less security checking) also check you can see the queen's head (or whoever's) watermark in the paper.

And you should go to an international chain cafe i.e. McDonalds/Starbucks/Costa etc if possible.

4. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

I've ordered the iMac so here is hoping. I'm not sure where he gets the thousands of things to sell, but I don't care. I've got two friends I'll take along. I'll meet him in a busy place, and have a good look at the money. I'm probably being paranoid to this nice guy!

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds good. A money belt might be good too to put the money if afterwards, but its not essential.

If he's genuine he'll understand. If he gets "offended" then he's probably attempting to scam you. You could offer to buy him a coffee though ;).

6. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

He lives 2 hours away and is fine..also happens to have an unopened new imac from which he 'changed his mind'. Something just does not smell right. I'll go along I suppose.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Hmm, that does seem a bit dodgy...

If you don't take his iMac and check the money carefully and do it in a public place (not in a local cafe of his choosing, but a big chain) I can't see what could go wrong. However if it doesn't feel right walk away.

8. Paul B macrumors 6502

Sounds okay, you definitely have a good plan to bring your friends with you, even if it's a public/busy place. I used to do that (offering to pay $X amount for the item immediately) because sometimes I'm not patient enough to wait a week for an auction to end.

9. su12 macrumors newbie

unfortunately this is the world we live in, it is difficult to trust, and judge someone through online interactions.

best of luck.