Is This OS X Security Statement Accurate?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Traverse, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I came across an interesting review on the Mac App Store and was wondering if there was any validity to this person's statement.

"1st, as an expert Unix engr, there are a few traits of Mac O.S. that one ought to know:
    1) Mac OS is simply a desktop app, that sits on top of Unix. Unix uses a permission system on every folder and file, that allows optional access to owner, group, or everyone.
    2) To protect one's self from malware, one can after intial setup, create a user w/admin authority and call it Admin or some such. Then take away admin authority from "one's documents." Also, by simply restarting the computer, any malware in the CPU, simply disappears.
    3)Why is that important? Because the authors of Clam AV for Mac, apparently do not understand these concepts. Both the admin and limited user can only scan files w/in "<user name>/documents". 99% of the files on a Mac are outside of "/users/<admin>,<other user>/documens. What good is a antivirus scan, that has no access?

Should a Mac user panic? No. Because, by virute of items 1 and 2, one is reasonably certain that they will never be bothered by a serious virus. The worst that can happen, would be the corruption of files under "documents". Which any prudent backup can repair quickly. Plus, operating under a limited user, malware cannot even instantiate itself on the hard drive. Recall every time one installs an app, Mac OS asks for a password? Well, if a virus attempted to write itself to the HD, guess what would happen?"

(I think this guy needs to learn how to use commas appropriately :rolleyes:)

If true, is there a way to deep scan a Mac OS X machine?

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

At best, this is a gross simplification. There are also some parts that whose accuracy is questionable.

There is plenty of information on the nature of OS X's security out there. I would turn to other sources.

3. Bear macrumors G3

OS X is Unix, not a desktop app that sits on top of Unix. OS X does include desktop apps as part of the overall operating system release.

As for the deep scan issue, an application on OS X can be installed with full system privileges and not be limited to just user files, however, antivirus on OS X is not needed. There are plenty of threads here that detail why not.

Did you ever notice that many people who call themselves "Expert" anything just aren't experts at all?

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Just playing devils advocate on this one part... I think they were trying to find a simple way of explaining that what MOST Mac users interact with is the Aqua desktop environment(similar to how Linux has Gnome and KDE) which just sits on top of the BSD Unix core.

5. Bear macrumors G3

That is a possibility, however if you look at claim 2, if that's an accurate quote from the so called expert, it's wrong. I think what he was looking for, but failed to say was disable Administrator rights from the user account after setting up a separate admin account.

So basically with everything that is wrong with what the "expert" said, He may have meant what he said about Mac OS being an app and not just what you think he meant.

6. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

I like that statement :D

And yes, it is a direct quote.