Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Hey everybody, I'm looking to get a PCI IDE controller card for my soon-to-be G4, and the cheapest I've found is $60 with shipping, it's a ACARD AEC-6280M PCI IDE Controller Card. Here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16816123110

Has anyone used this card before? The reviews all seem good, so I'm not too worried, but I trust MR more, I guess!

Also, can anyone point me to where I might find a better deal? I've tried the Marketplace to no avail, and everywhere else seems pricier. I don't mind a used card, just need a cheap, working one!

Thanks!

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I am not sure about Acard, I did tried one of their DVD-duplicator controllers before though, works fine but is a pain in the arse to use, but nevermind that.

The ATA controller card that I did use before (and works great!) is one from a company called SiiG. Not too sure about MacOS support though, but it is one of the few cards I got that actually delivers the throughput as advertised.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Yeah, the problem I've found is that there are a lot of PC brands that make the cards (dirt cheap, too), but very few Mac ones. Of the Mac-compatible cards, I've only heard of Sonnet before, I've never even heard of this brand which is why I'm wondering. Good to know they make something else decently, though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.