Is this phishing?

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
I received a few days ago an email which looks suspicious. Have a look at it.

Capture d’écran 2012-01-26 à 14.26.50.png

Translation:
Title: Verify the contact email address for your Apple ID

Dear X,

You entered X@gmail.com as the contact email address for your Apple ID. To end the process, we have to verify that it is really your email address. Just click on the following link and open a session with your Apple ID and password.

EDIT: the links points to the following domain:

Verify now

Why has this email been sent to you?
This email is sent when someone adds or modifies a contact email address for an Apple ID account. If this doesn't apply to you, don't worry. No one can use your email address as a contact address for an Apple ID without verification.

For more information, consult the Q&A topic.

Thanks,
Apple customer service

The bottom talks about TVA registration numbers, which is weird since TVA is a French tax. I live in Canada.

I received an invoice for a recent purchase on iTunes with this address so I definitely don't need to activate it. And moreover, I've been using this address on my iTunes account since at least 15 months.

I'm not clicking, but is this legitimate?

EDIT: the link points to https://id.apple.com/(stuff).

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I wouldn't trust it. I wouldn't use the link in that to verify your email. I would open iTunes, click Store, click View my account and verify your email that way.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
vertical
Obvious question: Did you add or change a contact email address for an Apple ID account?

If not, then you should follow ucfgrad93's advice and log into your account the normal way and check your info there.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I wouldn't trust it. I wouldn't use the link in that to verify your email. I would open iTunes, click Store, click View my account and verify your email that way.
This. Anytime I get an e-mail like that I delete the e-mail and go to the site. My bank does that and regardless of my theory that it is legit, I just type in the website myself. Takes 2 seconds longer.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Obvious question: Did you add or change a contact email address for an Apple ID account?

If not, then you should follow ucfgrad93's advice and log into your account the normal way and check your info there.
I did change it, but more than a year ago. I have made several purchases since then, and I have received all invoices correctly.