Is this pitting on my factory fresh MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by S600MBUSA, Jun 30, 2010.

1. S600MBUSA macrumors regular

Edited to Add: After wiping it some more with a microfiber cloth and a little computer cleaner, it doesn't look nearly as bad. It looks perfect to the naked eye, but under a jeweler's loupe (obsessive, I know) I see one or two very small black dots. Maybe it was just some sort of residue from manufacturing that was in the grain/pores of the metal. In any case, I think I'll still contact Apple so it's on record in case it really is something that could resurface and get worse in the future.

I purchased a 15-inch i7 MBP on Monday night. While getting acquainted with it yesterday, I noticed some small black dots on the front right corner of the upper case. They look more like the pitting I saw on my 2007 MBP than abrasions. Besides, I'm very careful with my electronics, especially those that cost this much. During the day it was on my very clean and soft bed, and at night I put it back in the box in which it was packaged. The rest of the computer is pristine.

I know it's cosmetic, even a relatively minor cosmetic issue. If it were honest wear, that would be one thing, but I'm concerned that this might a defect. I've attached some pictures to see what all of you think.

Attached Files:

2. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

Where on the MBP is this? I'm looking at my 15" i7 MBP and I don't recognize the location, pitting or not. The underside?

3. S600MBUSA thread starter macrumors regular

If you're looking at your MBP from the trackpad side, it's on the front right corner. Or, if you number the four corners clockwise starting with number one being where the magsafe is, it's corner number three. It's on the side of the computer, the same plane as the superdrive.

4. NStocks macrumors 65816

I found something similar to that on my 17" Core i7 I got delivered today. I wiped it off and it was gone! I was worried that it had worn away but to my relief, it was just factory dirt :p

5. michaelfengdayu macrumors member

6. S600MBUSA thread starter macrumors regular

Since it doesn't seem to be pitting, it's not a big deal. However, if it still looked as bad as it did and it were pitting in the aluminum, it would be a big deal. Non-Unibody MBPs and Powerbooks seemed susceptible to some ugly pitting on the wrist-rest after months or years. Should it be acceptable for a $2,000 laptop to come straight out of the box with that kind of problem already showing up, especially from a company like Apple, which emphasizes the cosmetic appeal of its products as well as bragging about the manufacturing process used for the unibody MBP?

Again, I should note that after some hard rubbing with a microfiber cloth, it doesn't appear to be pitting in the aluminum as it originally did. With that taken care of, the computer is flawless so far.

I don't have much to say in reply to the jackassery that constitutes the second part of your post.

7. banalelectric macrumors member

My new MPB had a tiny bit of that in a few spots so you have my sympathy as a fellow OCD sufferer. Try a Staedtler Mars Plastic eraser. Those little black dots will vanish entirely. (No joke!)