Is this possible by connecting an iPhone 3G to a Mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mgpg89, Sep 2, 2008.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I was wondering if this is possible with an iPhone 3G and a Mac, because I don't have an iPhone yet.

When I click on a person's mobile number in Address Book, there are, amongst others, 2 greyed out options. "Call this person with mobile phone" and "Send Text Message"

I was wondering ... if you connect an iPhone to your Mac, could you actually USE these options then? Because it would be awesome to send text messages with your iPhone, but using your Mac to do so ... (I hate typing long text messages on any mobile phone)

If this is the case, could anyone please post some screens of them doing so.

And if this is not possible, how can you enable these options then?

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

This is available with other mobile phones through bluetooth, but not the iPhone, as the iPhone's bluetooth is insanely locked down.

3. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Ridiculous that it's possible with all Bluetooth phones but the Apple one itself.
    I'll try it with my Motorola RAZR then.

Another thing ... I've read somewhere that if you get some sort of dock (I think the Universal Dock from Apple), you can make phone calls with your Mac through the iPhone, is that correct?
    Can you do text messaging as well then?

Cheers

4. sparkyms macrumors 65816

you cant make any calls through the Mac unfortunately.

same with SMS, its all done on the phone.

5. pavvento macrumors 6502

I think what they mean is that the docks are designed so that you can use the speakerphone. Also, the iPhone allows you to use all of its functions while it's plugged into a computer. Those functions have to be used on the phone though. They put this in as a feature because other devices can't be used while plugged into a computer, you have to eject and all that jazz.

6. pmzpocket macrumors newbie

Yes it is in fact ridiculous. In fact that doesn't even cover it.

And to sum up for you, you cannot use any iPhone features from your Mac. Isn't it great how everything just works?:apple:

Apple: The new Microsoft

7. ajthomason macrumors 6502

I bought a Sony DVD player to go with my Sony TV. Why? Because if both are Sony, they offer more options to work together.

So what you're saying is that If I buy an Apple phone to go with my Apple laptop, I get fewer functions than if I just buy a standard phone?! :eek: