Is this possible? HDD transplant?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by raymondu999, May 22, 2008.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Let's say I have a MacBook Pro of some kind other than mine. I decide that I should upgrade to a newer MacBook Pro. Will it be possible to support the case where I can just transplant my old HDD (Let's say I invested many bucks in a 320GB HDD) to a new one? And just immediately run off it? Or is that just not possible?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It depends on a lot of factors - the simplest solution is to try cloning the old drive to the new one in the new computer. 99% of the time, this will work. The few times it doesn't will almost always be due to hardware differences between the two machines.

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

yes, you can swap the harddrive from one MBP to another and run off it right away.

4. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

I see. Not that I'm interested, it's just out of curiosity.

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

That is as long as the old mbp drive will fit in the new mbp.

For the 15" mbp, the drive height maximum is 9.5mm. For the 17" mbp, the drive hight maximum is 12.5mm.

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

One nice thing about OSX is that it is designed in such a way that you can take a hard drive out of your MBP and boot your Mac Pro off it. As long as all the systems have the same underlying architecture, and the version of OSX is compatible with the other system then it will just boot.