Is this possible now or in the future?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jasmynp, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

4G iPad Air or Mini and Apple Watch with no phone?

Would you try it?

2. shandyman Suspended

Not possible now. Don't think it will be in the future.

There's no Apple Watch app on the iPad.

3. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I thought Apple made a mistake by not opening the launch up to all iOS devices, iPod Touch, and iPads. I don't see any reason that the watch couldn't be used with them, nor the Mac for that matter.

The reason being is that so many people who own Android phones, may also own an iPad or a Mac. SO it expands the ecosystem for Apple.

Given the difficulties they've had during the launch I feel like ultimately made the right decision. But I would hope by Gen 2 they open the ecosystem to at least the iPad, giving more people access to it.

4. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

It's a Bluetooth pairing between the watch & its "master" product. Most people won't carry their iPad with them like they do their phone. iPods I could see, though.

5. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Requires support for Bluetooth 4 to communicate with the watch, all iOS devices do not support Bluetooth 4. I think iPhone 5 was the first to support the exact standard used by Apple Watch, which is why you need an iPhone 5 or better. Doesn't explain nonsupport of iPads, I think that was just an image/marketing/convenience thing, unlike phones most people don't carry iPads with them everywhere they go, including the iPad Mini, and this keeps Apple from having to deal with the extra support issues from that or strange videos of people walking around with a giant iPad and then looking at their watch.

6. bob24 macrumors 6502

Functionality is fairly restricted when the watch is away from it's "master" device or the device doesn't have internet connectivity.

Doesn't really make sense to pair it with a device you don't always carry with you or that doesn't have cellular data capabilities.

Only your smartphone can deliver these.

7. stavsetty macrumors member

Why would you want to carry your iPad around all day?
    Why replace the iPhone?

8. Craigy Boy macrumors member

I think the main reasons are:

- iPhone always has cellular connectivity. iPods never do and iPads often don't.

- iPhone has GPS which quite a few apps use. Only cellular iPads have GPS. iPods don't.

- Portability. Most people will always have their iPhone on them in bag/pocket. Most people will not always have iPod/iPad with them.

9. MacFan23 macrumors 6502

Why would a cellular iPad have any less cellular connectivity than an iPhone?

10. Craigy Boy macrumors member

I meant as in wifi only iPads are more popular. So less people would have cellular iPads, so that means if Apple opened up the watch to connect to iPads, a lot of people would only be able to get data when at home or on wifi. Not out and about.

11. Jasmynp thread starter macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

I was thinking of a 4g apple watch or the apple watch with the current connectivity and a 4g mini.

In the future, when the apple watch is much more capable, I would get more use out the watch plus an iPad mini. Granted I carry a purse, but I'd love a watch that did most of my on the go stuff and a mini that I could pull out if I needed to read something, send a lengthy email, surf the web.

And how cool would it be to run to the store or go out with friends with just a watch and your keys cause the watch does everything.

Could be just be though.