Is this possible on 2 eMac's?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by craisin, Jul 11, 2013.

1. craisin macrumors newbie

I have an emac g4 1.42 running leopard and another 800mhz running ubuntu

Would it be possible to connect the 2 emacs with a firewire cable an boot the 1.42 into ubuntu from the 800s hdd?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Possibly. I'm not sure how well Ubuntu will like being booted from a FireWire drive, but it wouldn't hurt it. Just note that the two systems have very different internals and there may be some driver problems.

3. craisin thread starter macrumors newbie

I have numerous PCs Intel and AMDs I can take a linux OS loaded in an AMD and put the hdd in an Intel system and it will run long term.
    And it works vice versa too.
    I have a firewtre hdd that I assume I can install De4bian for PPC on it and just use it on the 1,42 emac
    Thanks for your input

----------

the emacs both have ATI graphics but I am not confident it will work
    All good

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

While you can move a Linux OS between systems, you will sometimes encounter incompatibilities. These compatibilities are even more pronounced on Macs because of Ubuntu's poor Mac support. Just because they both have ATI graphics doesn't mean it'll work without problem. Those are two vastly different generations.

5. craisin thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried swapping a PPC linux drive from disimular Macs and failed

The 800 goes great on Ubuntu with a gig of ram

the 1.42 has Leopard on it and i didnt want to overwrite it so i thought the the firewire device could boot into linux for the 1.42 and if i install 2 gigs of ram it will rock