is this possible on my macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by josueg942, Jun 25, 2009.

1. josueg942 macrumors member

well i have been having some really bad battery issues!
    the health of my battery yesterday was 33%. so i calibrated the battery. i calbritaed it on monday and no luck. health was 35%. i calibrated the battery last night.
    when i opened it up. my health was 2%. then suddenly! my health goes up to 100%
    my original battery capacity is 5600 MAH
    right now it's saying my current capacity is 65320 mah!
    wow!!!
    i,ve had my mbp for 1 year and a half!
    wow!
    right i,ve been using it and it says 100% still half an hour later!
    this is no joke or lie!
    it's 100% true.
    i have been having some troubles with my battery but i think 65320 mah is worth it!
    oh and i resetted my pmu.
    i'm not here to show off or anything... just wondering if coconut battery has calculated wrong...
    oh and btw... it says the same thing on istat nano too. =] thanks and have a good day.

Attached Files:

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

What you are seeing appears to be somewhat of a programming error/oversight on the part of the developer of coconutBattery or perhaps with the Mac OS battery info API. Long story short, your computer is actually reporting the current mAh capacity as a negative number, but the app can only display positive numbers between 0 and 65535 (an unsigned short integer in technical terms). The negative reading causes the reported value to wrap around to the positive numbers, making it seem like its a huge positive value when it is really a small negative one.

EDIT: Since you said iStat reports the same thing, the bug is probably in the API.

3. josueg942 thread starter macrumors member

you think so m8?
    i mean the battery icon has been saying 100% for over half an hour now.
    and it says my battery will last me like 38 hours and a half. i'm not sure. maybe you're right. i'm not a battery expert ha

4. motownflip macrumors regular

unplug and see how long it lasts. would be interested to hear the results.

5. phooi macrumors regular

What does the apple battery utility say?

Just a quick note of caution. If you decide to call Apple about this, you cannot use a 3rd party battery app to prove that you have a defective battery. They will make you use their utility.

Good luck.

6. josueg942 thread starter macrumors member

well m8 after 2 hours it says 96%
    100% true. i'm not lyin at all sir.

7. josueg942 thread starter macrumors member

which apple battery utility?

do you system profiler on the power tab?
    well incase it's what you're talking about it says mah 65320 and the condition is good

8. admanimal macrumors 68040

How long did your battery usually last before it was apparently super-ultra-turbo-charged?

My guess is that it will last about that long and then just die on you, regardless of what % it says is remaining in the status bar.

9. motownflip macrumors regular

Not thinking you're lying. Just wondering when it will shut down.

10. josueg942 thread starter macrumors member

well m8 heres the funny part.... when it reached 94% percent i got a warning saying i was running on reserve battery power and then it died like half an hour later.... admanimal was right... it was some error and some exaggerated number maybe the api made.
    well it lasted me like 4 hours and half so i think my battery is now in good state. but the health still says 65230 mah so yeah it's an api error.
    thanks!

11. josueg942 thread starter macrumors member

it only lasted 4 hours and a half....
    you were right it was an error in the api... but the battery lasted as long as it should last originally
    =]

12. admanimal macrumors 68040

If you have AppleCare you might want to take it in...it could be some kind of malfunction in the power monitoring hardware or battery itself that is causing the bad mAh reading. Otherwise I guess as long as the battery gets decent life, that's all that matters.