Is this possible or am I wrong!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by M&M, Sep 14, 2009.

1. M&M macrumors regular

M&M

I've installed SL on my Mac Pro from scratch (Clean Install).

Then I created my first backup with Time Machine. (550GB)

After two weeks, I found out that I could boot my machine into the 64 bits kernel. So I did. I booted with the 6 + 4 keys during startup and I've checked and I was using the 64bits kernel.

So far so good.

Then I week later without adding no new data, I caught a time machine backup with over 350GB backup. (Which match the data on my third hard drive.)

I was wondering if by changing the kernel did Time Machine "thinks" that it is a new backup a take some files from my drives protected by the backup.

Sorry if this seems crazy, I'm new into Macs, huge fan but very curious about how it works.

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

3. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

"I was wondering if by changing the kernel did Time Machine "thinks" that it is a new backup a take some files from my drives protected by the backup."

The short answer, no. Your system and time machine are both working fine and as they're supposed to. But let me explain how time machine works, so you don't get confused. Time machine, won't just backup your files as they are on your hard drive and then replace them each time with newer ones.. It will start archiving your files since the first time you used it (and you can edit the settings to change its behavior a little bit). Archiving means that if for example you've set it to take a backup each day, and you have file A, after 3 days you will have 3 copies of that A file, given that you edited it. So if that file A was a text document, and you kept adding stuff in it, with time machine you can "travel" 3 days back and restore it as it was 3 days earlier, or 2 days or 1. Another example, lets say that you deleted a file from a folder, you wouldnt expect it to be backed up right? Time machine will have it there, so if you deleted it before like 5 days, and you scroll 5 days before, its still there, archived. I hope you understood my point, sry if i didn't make sense the whiskey is kicking in :)