Is this possible? (Sims2 for PC on External Hard Drive)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by thebassoonist, Nov 9, 2007.

1. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I am embarrassed to ask this question, so please be kind :D. I am particularly embarrassed to be such a Sims fanatic. Ha ha.

I would like to run XP on my MBP for one reason only - to play the Sim2 with all of its expansion packs. Here are the specs of my MBP:

Leopard
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Due
    2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    160 GB Hard Drive

I'm planning on upgrading the RAM soon, as well, to 4GB.

Now, I am planning on buying a FireWire 800 HD to run XP. Is there a way to boot XP from an external hard drive via Boot Camp? I read a "how to" and they had a very complicated way of doing this. Is it easier now with Leopard? Or more impossible? Is there a better program to use other than Boot Camp? Maybe Parallels? I don't want to take the internal hard drive out. In fact, I wont. So maybe that sabotages the whole thing. :eek:

I own a copy of XP and that's why I'd like to do it this way. If this wont work, I guess I'll just sell my Sims2 and expansion packs for PC and buy them for Mac. :(

Thanks for any feedback!

2. littleb2005 macrumors member

i don't think it possible to install xp on a firewire 800 i know people have been able to get it to install on usb hard drive but have had to do a lot of mucking about to get it works