Is this possible: store iTunes songs on external HD, accessed by two Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by katewes, Mar 13, 2009.

1. katewes macrumors 6502

I want to know if this is possible and, if so, how to do it.

Currently, my iMac's HD is overloaded by my 220GB collection (mostly podcasts).

My idea is to have the iTunes collection on an external hard disk (e.g. a Western Digital Passport 320GB).

When connected to the iMac, iTunes on the iMac reads the MP3's from the external disk.

Then, when I'm on the road with my MacBookPro, the MBP's iTunes would read from the same external hard disk.

A problem could be how to make the second MBP recognize any updates to the iTunes list that has changed when used with the iMac since the last hookup.

Any ideas?

I have no idea how to start, so step-by-step guidance would be appreciated.

2. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

this may not be step by step but sort of how i do this. i have two systems i use, one is my main macbookpro and th eother is a macbook that is used around the house and shared with others, so of course the ability to throw my 200GB+ library on there isnt a good option.

i have an external drive with all my iTunes music + converted iTunes/AppleTV/iPod videos on there and in iTunes I went to:

iTunes > Preferences (COMMAND Comma) then selected Advanced and changed the location of my library on each machine.

Then i proceeded to drag the "Music" folder into iTunes and let it compile the library list.

took awhile but then when it was done everything was matched up.

as fara s when it updates, the only way ive been able to sync it was to goto File > Add To Library and it should sync anything you havent added, otherwise i just drag and drop the new stuff in anyways.

there may be less "archaic" way to do it but it has worked for me, and when im at home i usually toss the drive on the network so i can remotely access it at both systems.

hope that gives you a good idea.

*edit*
    found this:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Keeping_2_iTunaes_Libraries_in_Sync

maybe that help, i personally havent tried it....