Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
OK I'm been using a mac for around a year now and loving, although a big disappointment regarding how expensive they are finding out the superdrives are junk on the 2007, Imac's. I hardly ever used the superdrive and I posted some help pertaining to it, and I want to thank you all for trying to help me get it going again. So I decided instead of buying a replacement superdrive with the same exact one, which I know they are not that dependable, and I want to buy a external drive instead. Lets say I need to restore my Imac to it's original state with my factory disc in case something happens down the road. Will I be able to boot of the external drive to do a fresh install if I ever had too?, THANK YOU ALL

Last edited:

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
If it is intel based, yes, it can boot from an external USB or FireWire drive. While in OS X, Just pop in the install disk and when the installer opens up, click "restart computer" this will automatically set the startup disk to the external drive. ;)

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
If it is Intel based, yes, it can boot from an external USB or FireWire drive. While in OS X, Just pop in the install disk and when the installer opens up, click "restart computer" this will automatically set the start up disk to the external drive. ;)

adcx64, thanks bud, your awesome. Yea man I tried everything to bring back that super-drive back to life but it doesn't see it at all, and it takes a CD flawlessly, without any weird noise or anything like that, but it doesn't see it. Since it can't see it, it won't eject, even with terminal command. So I like to play it safe and get an external since it is an Intel duo2.0. I also think it will last longer than the little flimsy one they have in the Imac?

I think I'll buy one from OWC, I bought two external hardrives and they run great with my Pro Tools rig.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Thanks badger^2, hey I call my best friend badger, that's' crazy. I think I'll go that route for sure. you folks been a tremendous help, much appreciate it.

One more question if I may, I hear there's a hit & miss if trying to use a usb buss powered one?, also the link to the dvd drive shows only PC supported?

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
OK I'm been using a mac for around a year now and loving, although a big disappointment regarding how expensive they are finding out the superdrives are junk on the 2007, Imac's. I hardly ever used the superdrive and I posted some help pertaining to it, and I want to thank you all for trying to help me get it going again. So I decided instead of buying a replacement superdrive with the same exact one, which I know they are not that dependable, and I want to buy a external drive instead. Lets say I need to restore my Imac to it's original state with my factory disc in case something happens down the road. Will I be able to boot of the external drive to do a fresh install if I ever had too?, THANK YOU ALL

Any other brands people can throw my way?, I would like to get an unit soon, hey badger what was your experience with cool drive.com?, there was so many bad reviews and not to mention they don't have a contact number scares me.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Any other brands people can throw my way?, I would like to get an unit soon, hey badger what was your experience with cool drive.com?, there was so many bad reviews and not to mention they don't have a contact number scares me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044DEDBG

Sleek, Mac+PC - just bought one for my MBP without a super drive. Requires 2 USB ports - but that shouldn't be an issue as I am not going to use it all the time. For an iMac it should be even less of an issue due to more USB ports I guess.

dfine1966

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044DEDBG

Sleek, Mac+PC - just bought one for my MBP without a super drive. Requires 2 USB ports - but that shouldn't be an issue as I am not going to use it all the time. For an iMac it should be even less of an issue due to more USB ports I guess.

Thanks parapup, It has to be able to boot from it if I ever have to do a clean install, please forgive, but I'm fairly new and some mentioned it's a hit & miss running off of USB? thanks for the info

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Thanks parapup, It has to be able to boot from it if I ever have to do a clean install, please forgive, but I'm fairly new and some mentioned it's a hit & miss running off of USB? thanks for the info

For booting it should not have any issues - If I remember correctly the hit and miss part was with using 1 port and that too for burning which requires more power. However if you are willing to wait until tomorrow I can tell for sure how it works on my MBP 17" :)

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
For booting it should not have any issues - If I remember correctly the hit and miss part was with using 1 port and that too for burning which requires more power. However if you are willing to wait until tomorrow I can tell for sure how it works on my MBP 17" :)

Awesome, I'll hold off until you get back to me, thanks so much parapup,and dfine1966

Last edited:

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Awesome, I'll hold off until you get back to me, thanks so much parapup,and dfine1966

So I got mine today and it worked fine for booting OS X install DVD - required the use of 2 USB ports but it booted up fine.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
Intel Macs can boot from USB or firewire.

Those drives from newegg are the same type of crappy laptop style drive in your iMac -- 1/3 the speed of a full desktop drive as well.

dont get hung up on the "it says it only works for PC" crap. PC makers are just too lazy to test with macs.

the setup I posted will work awesome and doesnt take up a USB port.

cooldrives has been OK for me -- its only a $12 case.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Intel Macs can boot from USB or firewire.

Those drives from newegg are the same type of crappy laptop style drive in your iMac -- 1/3 the speed of a full desktop drive as well.

dont get hung up on the "it says it only works for PC" crap. PC makers are just too lazy to test with macs.

the setup I posted will work awesome and doesnt take up a USB port.

cooldrives has been OK for me -- its only a $12 case.

I have to agree with you on that one Badger, well I ended up buying that case from cooldrives.com, any I already have two drives in my PC that are fairly new, and I bet one of those will work. I'm really shocked the quality of the Imac drives (YUK), when I opened it up was like opening a cigarette case. I thank you all for helping me on the dilemma.
Thank you too parapup. Hey Badger how was you experience buying through cooldrives?

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008

Update folks. OK I received my case from cooldrives.com and I stuck one of the dvd writers I had in my PC and it works great. Thanks BADGER and the rest. Only thing is I can't play a dvd movie on it, it gives me a error/ no dvd player found on the Imac, but it plays the movie fine on the PC. but that's OK, I just need it to run and burn stuff when needed. I hope it can burn stuff?, if not I'll have to but drive that is supported with MAC.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008

Thank all for the help getting my Imac working with this external drive. Everything works great except it will not play DVD movies?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.