Is this possible, system log in clock?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by abz1981, Dec 17, 2013.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hi

Okay this is a technical question. Is it possible that my mba has a system clock that shows last time someone logged in or log in history on my mba. I know if someone was to use safari it will show you, the safari history, however it is easily possibly to delete a safari history item. So question is, does my MBA or mac os x show you a way if someone has logged on to your mba etc?

thanks in advance

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open the app Console and you will see time stamped log entries there when a login occurs.

3. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi

thanks for your reply. i have done this. however not sure what I am looking for here, as it has so much information. At the moment System Log Queries is selected and on the right hand side I am seeing rows of code with the time on the left hand side. I can see times where I have been at work and my MBA has been on sleep mode. But I can still see a lot of activity. Any way I can see just the log in row and any internet access row information?

thanks, and sorry for the loads of questions.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you open Console then type "loginwindow" in the search bar at the top, you will see a series of entries like below each time there is a login.

I just logged out then back in myself to create the log entries so you can see.

[​IMG]

5. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay so here is what I have, attached the images.

So when I log in to my mba from sleep or from shut down to on, where it says: Login Window Application Started, i take it this is referring to the time I logged on to my MBA right?

Because I logged on at 7.21 (i am certain of this today). I did have my MBA in the hour or so before 721, on lock mode via Find my mac on iCloud. What will the other lines before this indicate to, as my mba was on sleep mode, is it normal for it to run code on sleep mode? Last time I used my mba before 721, would have been before 01:00 in the morning of the 17th of dec 2013.

thanks again.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, exactly.

That is normal and what you are seeing is activity from Powernap that runs while your Air is asleep.

7. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay thank you. I think I know what you mean. So if I understand is correctly and finally now and to put this thread to an end and for my own piece of mind. The way I read the console is that the earliest activity that started on my mba was shown at 111.49pm on the 16 of December 2013 and from that moment on because I had power nap on, all the other information is showed, and that at 7.21pm today i logged on to my mba. So my concern of someone in my house using my mba is not showing as the evidence is not showing before 7.21pm right?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You've got it. :)

If you don't see that any other login entries prior to your own, nobody logged in. It is possible to login then erase the log, but then you would not see those other entries back to December 16.

9. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah okay and erasing the log would mean I would not have seen all the data that I can see today then on the console. I get you. Well thanks again for your help in this. This is why I love macrumors someone will always have an answer to any type of technical question. I have learned something new today. thanks again. :)