is this possible with a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acrahm, Aug 14, 2008.

1. acrahm macrumors regular

I have a MBP and use it at home about 80% of the time, i have a 22' monitor and would like to be able to hook it up to the MBP in a way that i can turn on the MBP without having to open the screen up, pushing the power button then closing it again,

is there such a device that will do this?

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Not sure but i rarely turn off my mbp and you could just leave it on and bring it out of sleep mode with an external keyboard or mouse.

3. vniow macrumors G4

Yes, its called "sleep mode" and can be found on every Macbook Pro. Follow the previous poster's instructions and you'll be set.

4. acrahm thread starter macrumors regular

i really dont want to leave it on all the time, i was more looking for some sort of external "on/off" button/cradle i could put it in so i dont have to open the mbp to turn it on

5. vniow macrumors G4

Why not simply put it to sleep? Its essentially turning the computer off with only the very basics being powered by a small battery. As far as I (and Google) know, there's no such device unless you have some desire to open up your MBP and solder a couple of wires onto the power button. The only feasible way to do it is as the above poster suggested. Sleep mode can't possibly be that bad.

6. rdp5008 macrumors regular

rdp5008

How do the MBP's do with heat build up when the lid is closed?

My Powerbook gets kinda toasty with the top down...

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No there is no external power button... but you can always rewire the power button to the outside.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

What's wrong with sleep mode?
    Mines been on for about 6 months now, it's still working!! Yay! :):)

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I use sleep mode all of the time, except when I'm away for a few days and have not brought the MBP with me, when I shut it down fully instead. It has not done the MBP any harm. Sleep mode works well, but shutting down and starting up. Cheers and good luck.
    :apple:MPB 15.4", 2.4 ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160 HDD; iPod classic 30 GB

10. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Actually you can set it to hibernate which is totally turning it off, caching the current desktop then it starts up at the last state.

There's 0 power consumption in hibernate mode. The computer is essentially off.

I think that's your best bet.