Is this possible with wordpress?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jdl8422, Sep 17, 2008.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I want to be able to have multiple pages of post. I like the way the post continue on and on, but is there a way to have multiple pages or categories of post. For example, the first page you see on the site is just a static page of "Welcome to my site... Blah Blah Blah. Then you can pick between 3 or so pages, then on each page is a list of different post that are specific to that category. I don't want to have one list of post that you can filter different categories out of, I want to be able to have 3 or more separate pages of post. I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.

2. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

would it not be better to go to the wordpress forum to ask this?

3. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I guess I could of, but I respect and value the opinions of the people in this forum. I didnt think a wordpress question was so unheard of in this forum.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

having a static homepage is no problem.

i suppose you could then make the links the results of the categorized posts rather than a link to the blog as a whole.

the other option would be three different installs of WP each specific to the topic/category

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yeah absolutely that's possible. You'll want to look into using a custom template as your static front page, and on that page you can put the three links you want to /category/whatever, /category/anotherone, etc. You can customize the category archive template as well so that it doesn't look so archive-ish (Wordpress' default templates are really verbose about telling you you're browsing an archive page).

6. Darran macrumors member

Not sure if I understood you correctly.

You want to display 3 different categories on the main page?

7. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

He wants it so it seems like the site has several different, distinct blogs from what I understand.

And yeh, as said above, this should be possible. If not, it may be worth you looking into ExpressionEngine, which works a little differently, but allows publishing multiple blogs.