Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Hey all

So I really want to restore my iPhone as a new device but I want to be able to keep a text message thread. This thread dates back all the way to 2009 so obviously I haven't restored as a new device since then.

The reason I want to restore as a new device is because there are alot of bugs on my phone that have been transferred over my devices over the years (especially cause I jailbreak and tinker with stuff).

So I was just wondering if there's anyway to sorta transplant a single text thread into a new backup?

Thanks

Last edited:

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
take a screen shot of the SMS

i guess you're trying to save the conversation right?
why not take screen shots instead? that way it would be saved as a picture, and it's easier to share as memento/ evidence :D

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
i guess you're trying to save the conversation right?
why not take screen shots instead? that way it would be saved as a picture, and it's easier to share as memento/ evidence :D
The conversation goes 2 years back though. That'd take forever lol...

Applejuiced, I think I may be able to pull that off. Do you think this would work?:
-delete all of my text history besides the thread that I'm trying to keep
-backup phone in iTunes
-navigate to the backup folder and save the folder containing my text history (it should only contain the conversation that I'm trying to keep)
-Restore iPhone and set up as new device
-Jailbreak and ssh that folder I saved into my iPhone

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
If having it on the device itself isn't absolutely mandatory, programs like PhoneView on the Mac and TouchCopy on Windows will allow you to save texts to your computer (they look just like they did on the phone, complete with text bubbles), and it's a lot easier than trying to extract them from a backup. They also don't require a jailbreak, which isn't an issue in your situation, but might be for others with a similar need.

You didn't say what model phone you had or what firmware; I don't think I've seen anyone say they'd managed to get this trick to work on an iPhone 4 yet (I could have missed a success story, I've seen a few that have tried and failed; could just be user error). I know some things changed with the new firmware though because PhoneView and the like can no longer move things like Notes back onto the phone they way they can with earlier models. So no matter what you use, make sure you have a copy of those texts somewhere safe in a computer-readable format in case you can't get the phone to recognize it.

Good luck!

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Thank you IrishVixen. Phoneview is amazing. I was able to load out entire conversation and export it as a pdf (the pdf is 1200 pages long :eek:). Well worth $20!!!

I have an iPhone 4 on the latest firmware btw.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Thank you IrishVixen. Phoneview is amazing. I was able to load out entire conversation and export it as a pdf (the pdf is 1200 pages long :eek:). Well worth $20!!!

I have an iPhone 4 on the latest firmware btw.

You're welcome! Works great for saving voicemail too--which for some reason neither Apple nor AT&T provides a native method of doing. Best program I've ever bought, hands down, and it works even for stock devices.

If you do still try to load just that backup, I'd like to hear about it. It would be helpful to know if it's possible with the iPhone 4--I know it worked with earlier models.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I'm just gonna restore my phone and set it up as a new device. Theres no need to have the texts on my phone anymore.

So happy right now :D

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I'm just gonna restore my phone and set it up as a new device. Theres no need to have the texts on my phone anymore.

So happy right now :D

:D I'd do the same, really. Too much of a PITA to try and restore just that piece.

Jennie023

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
If having it on the device itself isn't absolutely mandatory, programs like PhoneView on the Mac and TouchCopy on Windows will allow you to save texts to your computer (they look just like they did on the phone, complete with text bubbles), and it's a lot easier than trying to extract them from a backup. They also don't require a jailbreak, which isn't an issue in your situation, but might be for others with a similar need.

You didn't say what model phone you had or what firmware; I don't think I've seen anyone say they'd managed to get this trick to work on an iPhone 4 yet (I could have missed a success story, I've seen a few that have tried and failed; could just be user error). I know some things changed with the new firmware though because PhoneView and the like can no longer move things like Notes back onto the phone they way they can with earlier models. So no matter what you use, make sure you have a copy of those texts somewhere safe in a computer-readable format in case you can't get the phone to recognize it.

Good luck!

I totally agree with your reply ! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.