Is this possible?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by aeneid, Aug 5, 2011.

1. aeneid macrumors member

So I've been reading about some developers who have installed Android onto the iPhone with limited support for certain features and have also begun working to possibly port it to the iPod Touch and iPad 1,2. This brings me to my question which is if it's possible to install Android, is it possible to install a custom os onto it. For example I've been working with Linux, and will be in the process of making my own OS based on linux. Then I want to create one to be ported to the iPad. I'm thinking if I jailbreak it and gain root access, then I can flash an os to the iPad and use that. To make it work it would be a matter of finding the drivers for the iPad and then getting them to work, along with a bunch of other minor details. But in theory is this possible?

Yes I know it sounds preposterous, but I'm tired of both Android and iOS. Both have good things that I like, but both have bad things. For example android is way too flimsy on security, but offers rooting to an extent, and customization that is not found in iOS. As for iOS a majority of the features are amazing but the lack of customization and the ability to root it only with jailbreaking makes it sh**. That said I want to create my own os, and create all the features that I find useful. I'm still in the process of learning things, and as a college student I have plenty of time to do this. I'm looking at a 6 month timeline to create a general os and then start incorporating features one at a time once I learn to code them. I find that yes this is daunting but very worth it. Yes this is a hobby so don't slam me please. I'm thinking that I may try to mimic the iOS base so that way maybe there's some way where I can get the apps from the store to run on my os.

Again I know this seems very unlikely, but in theory can it be done? I want a learning experience and at the same time want to do something big here and make my own OS for the iPad, and it that works, get it to the iPhone etc.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It would be very challenging. You'd have to write your own bootloader or port OpeniBoot, your own drivers, figure out the NAND structure, and much more. Even with some very skilled Linux/iPhone people and the most open iDevice, the iPhone 2G, all they gotten is the Linux kernel running. No WiFi, touchscreen, or any things else. Just the screen itself. There is iX, its Ubuntu and its based off of iDroid. But it too, works only on the iPhone 2G, 3G, and iPod Touch 1G. Its borderline unusable.

3. aeneid, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

aeneid thread starter macrumors member

To be honest, I want to do it. And as long as it can theoretically work, I'll waste my time toiling even it if fails miserably. Would you say it is more difficult to create a new one or breaking down the iOS to the 4 layers and modifying those? I'm in the process of researching. I have a very general knowledge of everything, and it might seem like I'm crazy not knowing as much as programmers etc, but I have 2 weeks to spare before college starts up again and I'm going to be at home so I might as well geek out and just pull some 20 hour nights for the fun and learn and code like Fing crazy. From my understanding it has 4 layers, and those each run a different part of the os. How hard would it to be to get access to those 4 layers and make significant changes to them?

Cheers

Edit: I just reread what you wrote, and the part about the most skilled people, makes me look like a fool now after you read the above part. Lol. It's okay though

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. aeneid thread starter macrumors member

LOL. I'm on the same boat, but I think you're sayin that because of how little I know :D lol. Well I think what I'll do is code a general linux system. link here: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
    From there I can try to decode the iOS and examine the 4 bases for a while, and then I guess look at the drivers that are currently used, and then from there see if I can make those same drivers, but on the linux side. I'm actually getting more and more excited at this possibility. As difficult as this sounds, like 10 out of 10 on difficulty, I'm excited for the challenge and how much coding and learning there is in store for me. At least I'll have a decent support network, my whole campus computer science department, and a bunch of forums, and as well as a bunch of dorm geeks who do this stuff as a hobby. I'm looking forward to it. Let's see where this takes me.

Cheers.

PS Do you know any programming, coding, decoding, if you want to join in on this be my guest, we can exchange some PMs about this.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Good luck. I don't know any coding at all. The only thing I know is Applescript and extremely basic C++.

7. aeneid thread starter macrumors member

Mhm. It's all good. It's going to be a long ride, but I think this is something doable just painstakingly long so no one wants to do it. Hopefully I can get some kind of success even if it just running an extremely basic kernel or even if I can get a hello world app with a touch button to work would be extremely successful in just demonstrating its possible. And with that I have just on the spot come up with a goal for myself: establishing a successful port to an iPad for now( eventually all other iOS devices) of linux and running a hello world app with touch button to reset it or start it.....LOL. Thanks again. Although I would have eventually researched that I would need a boot loader but you reminded me of it. I'm also looking into openIboot. Hopefully there's some info there that I can use if possible. It will definitely be a long 2 weeks and crap.

Cheers