is this possible

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by utl768, Nov 10, 2011.

1. utl768 macrumors 6502

i always wanted a mac pro but i cant afford so i was thinking and i remember reading a article awhile back that mac pro internals only totaled like a 1000 dollars so i was wondering could i buy all the internals motherboard processor etc and then assemble them in a regular computer case and still have the same mac pro apple sells

would updates and stuff still be ok if this works since nothing would be different from the hardware apple uses

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

There are chips in the Mac that are specially designed by Apple engineers and not available on the open market. There is code in the Mac OS that looks for these chips, too. The end result of this is that building a Hackintosh is far more difficult than a lot of people think.

Good luck on your project.

Dale

3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

If you do, you will probably end up spending more money on the parts than buying a Mac Pro from Apple. Apple can get the parts at much much lower prices than you can get on the market.

My suggestion is: If you can do with an iMac, get an iMac. Otherwise, you might consider a Windows PC.

4. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Impossible, since the CPU(s) alone are more expensive than that.

--Eric

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

And don't forget that buying one at RETAIL costs a lot more than buying them in quantity like Apple does.