Is this possible?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Wreckie, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Wreckie macrumors regular

I am wondering, if this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AalGp7IGzjs is possible with Thunderbolt iMacs? If not now, do you think that GPU manufacturers will include thunderbolt ports in their GPUs anytime soon as they did with MiniDP?

2. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

All he's doing is using the iMac as a display I don't understand what you are asking ?

What I'm looking forward too is Thunderbolt External GPU's that should be a very interesting and great way to get enhanced performance on such machines that cannot be upgraded.

Imagine having a super ultra thing laptop like a macbook air... with a "get by" gnu inside thats good enough for HD video etc and maybe some light gaming.. then when you want to do some heavy gaming you just plug it into your thunderbolt GPU on your desk and game away.

Fantastic

3. Wreckie thread starter macrumors regular

I would like to see my iMac hooked up to powerful PC to use this gorgeous display for gaming.

4. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

I understand that but wouldn't it be more convenient and energy efficient to just hook it up to an external GPU (when/if they become available) it seems wasteful running 2 machines to use the performance of one of them.

5. Wreckie thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbolt external GPU can't provide such performance as I have read. Running 2 computers should not be problem, because I am not gaming every day, but if I game, I wanna get maximum out of it. However I could run some programs that require idling and iMac's power consumption is quite low.

6. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

What external Thunderbolt GPU benchmarks have you seen? because as far as I know there has only been 1 created for concept testing. Thunderbolt will only improve over time especially when they start to use the original idea of light (light peak) rather than copper. When this happens you will see even better performance in the tech.

Only real issue is with high performance cards they need a sufficient amount of power... so if we eventually do see thunderbolt external gpu's (which i think we will) they will need to have their own power adapter too. Still...some external HDD's need this and it doesn't bother many people.

Can't wait for the tech to get there.