Is this possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adam044, May 26, 2012.

1. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

So I installed an after market stereo in my car and I have a 5th gen ipod video that connects by usb. the only problem is Its one of the few ipods that you can not physically pick the song from and has to be chosen from the stereo. my question is, is there any way to make the ipod video think that it is not connected to an accessory or something of the sort?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If you are wanting to output audio through that bottom port, the simple answer is no.

3. adam044 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam044

yes output music through the 30pin dock connector

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Then, as I said, no. Not with the music app. If you use something like Google music, pandora, or any of those you will still have control over that specific app via your idevice.

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I thought you could output sound through the 30 pin. That's how 99% of iHomes and other media extension devices work, anyway. I would double check your facts.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I haven't seen anything yet that outputs audio via the USB 30 pin cord. All I've seen is either direct 30 pin dock connection on a device or some type of adapter. But never with the normal included or aftermarket USB cord.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You CAN output sound. What I am saying is that if his head unit in his car is made to control the iPhone through the head unit, there is nothing he can do to stop the music app from giving you the "device plugged in" (or something similar, can't remember exactly what it is) message. He could alter the cable such that it will do nothing more than charge, but at that point he won;t (ever) be able to stream audio over that cable.

8. 7DSniper macrumors regular

Yes you can plug the 30 pin dock connector to a USB Radio and play music through the iPod. You however can not control the music with iPod controls you will have to use the Radio to control music. Now with Pandora or other music app you can control the music form your iPod.

9. adam044 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam044

its just this specific model of ipod that i cant controll it from the ipod. works fine with my iphone.

anyone selling a cheap ipod? 16GB? condition doesnt have to be good just going to be used and left in my car. thanks