Is this possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by burnsoc, Mar 19, 2008.

1. burnsoc macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm a noob who was looking to purchase an iphone when my verizon contract expires at the end of April. My phone just died, but I would like to keep this number. Is it possible to get the iphone with a new number and then port my existing number to the phone at the end of my verizon contract. Thanks in advance for any help.:D

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Not really. You might be able to find a cheep Vz phone on Craigslist and have your local Vz store transfer your number to the "new" phone to keep you going until the end of April.

TEG

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I would check with At&t / Vz for this question.

However, don't going porting your number over unless you are ready to pay the early termination fee associated with your contract.

4. f1 macrumors 6502

Go to Walmart or Target and pick up a cheap VZ phone, or get one off ebay or amazon to stave you off for a month.

5. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

Any of the above suggestions would work. :) But you might consider just waiting until your Verizon contract ends. It's only a month and a week or so. I ended mine early simply because I was at the beginning of a two year contract when my husband and I decided to switch carriers. But why pay two phone bills for a month? Just wait the month, then port your number over. It's a lot easier that way IMHO.

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

You could also can the cellphone all together and just start using a landline again! ;)

7. burnsoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's what I thought. I definitely don't want to incur that early termination fee. I think I'll just get by without a phone until the contract expires.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Did you check on the Verizon termination fee? Most fees used to be "pay it all" no matter when you cancell, but a lot of them are starting to lower the fee the closer you are to the end.

So cancelling 1 month away from the end would be cheaper than cancelling 1 year out.

I think this is called "pro-rating" the cancellation fee. Check with Verizon and see what their policy is. I have no idea, but if they do it you may find it affordable.

9. burnsoc thread starter macrumors newbie

I did check with verizon and unfortunately they only pro-rate the newer contracts. I would have to pay $175 if I cancel before the 25th of April. I was hoping that I could get a new number with at&t when I bought the iphone and then change it to my verizon number when that contract ends, but it looks like that's not possible. Thanks for the help!