Is This Possible???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iMacdude313, Apr 27, 2008.

1. iMacdude313 macrumors regular

I have an Airport Extreme Base Station connected to my PC (which is not wireless). I am going to purchase an iMac this summer. Is it possible to connect two Airport Extreme's together, wirelessly, with only one router? The PC and First Airport is located in my Living Room. The Second Airport, the Xbox 360, the PS3, and the soon to be iMac, will all be located in my bedroom.

Attached Files:

• MAC.jpg
      MAC.jpg
      File size:
      15.2 KB
      Views:
  2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Why do you need a 2nd router (Airport Extreme)? Does the signal not reach your bedroom? Why not just use your current Extreme with your game consoles and iMac?

And if the signal doesn't reach then yes, you can use another Extreme through WDS bridging to extend your primary internet router.

3. iMacdude313 thread starter macrumors regular

well i have the PS3 in my bedroom at the moment, and it recieves the signal perfectly. my xbox 360 is in my living room connected to my airport via an ethernet cable. i was planning to buy a wireless adapter for the 360 but i have heard that it will not connect to the airport wirelessly if i have wpa2 security.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Here's a way to get your Xbox360 internet without an adapter or WPA2. Get your iMac online with the airport, then run a network cable from the iMac to the 360 and turn on Internet Sharing on your Mac. To do that go to System Preferences>Sharing Preferences>Internet Sharing and Share connection from Airport to Ethernet. There ya go!

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yes, love that trick.

I use it all the time with my Xbox 360(the only way I connect to XBL, I've been to cheap to buy the Wi-Fi add on, and it even helps with Ubuntu, since Wi-Fi isn't work there)

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Me too, it's so great, easy, and effective!

7. scallan74 macrumors newbie

I have the same set up minus the extra Airport Router. Unfortunately my XBox 360 will not connect to XBox Live because of a MUT error. I think that is what it is called I do not have the XBox in front of me here at work. I manually input the IP address of everything connected and I run a media and XBox Live test in which all the connections pass except for the MUT. Anyway the info on the MUT states that my Airport may not be set to the proper speed. I cannot figure that out. Perhaps if I reset the Airport to the factory defaults that would solve the problem? Should I reset my settings on the XBox to automatically connect? Everything is plugged in properly and my sharing is on with the ethernet checked as well...

8. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I don't think you can do that. Besides, it would be so much easier and cheaper to just get 802.11n in the PC.

9. iMacdude313 thread starter macrumors regular

I have yet to buy my iMac yet, but I did try this with my dad's Macbook. For some reason I cannot sign onto Xbox Live. I tested the connection (on the Xbox) and it told me that "Your console was unable to negotiate a lease with your DHCP server. Make sure that addresses are available on your server." It goes on about troubleshooting and what not.