Is this possible

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Azmontana, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Azmontana macrumors regular

Azmontana

Hello All,

So I have windows running via bootcamp and since installing haven't really used it and I am now running out of space on my mac.

What I want to do is take free space from windows and top it up to the mac without having to reformat the whole drive.

Can this be done. Thanks

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Unfortunately no, I believe you will have to dump the Boot Camp partition and start over.

3. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

I think this may be possible; however, I'm not sure if the second part is accurate as I have not tested this myself, so please check around before attempting.

I'm thinking it would go something like this:

First, using a 3rd party hard drive manager in Windows (such as, Partition magic), partition off however much you want to place back to your Mac.

Second, go back into OS X and try the following:

1. Open Boot Camp Assistant, in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder.

2. Click “Create or remove a Windows partition.” Click Continue and select the disk you partitioned off in Widows. Then select “Restore to a single Mac OS partition.”

4. fongyuen macrumors 6502

i've done the opposite where i wanted to expand my bootcamp partition. successfully used this free software to do it: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/camptune/

only thing with this is that you have to burn it to a cd, boot off of it, and then make the changes.

i've heard other people using gparted and i think with that you can just do it right in the OS.