Is this postage?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, May 24, 2008.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'm pretty sure they this is but I very rarely use snail mail :rolleyes:

It came with my college application, I think... to send back my application stuff, but on the postage it says mailed from zip code xxxxx, which is not my zip, but the school's zip. Just want to make sure it gets there.

[​IMG]

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

K thanks.

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Thats a computer printed version. Business can use that these days, easyer than using paper versions. Pitneybowes, is one such maker.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Postage

Where is the 1 cent stamp?

I thought it was 42 cents now.

And since it is soo soon after the change, it'll likely be kicked back.

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

It won't be kicked back. Even if it doesn't qualify as first class (and it should), it would likely be considered standard/third class (like a lot of the junk mail that is sent at lower rates) and still reach its destination.

I really should know for sure since it's my job to know this type of thing. I should probably take a look at the training book regarding mail class today.

7. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Actually that might get kicked back. I send mail like that everday and if you're one cent of it comes right back to you everytime; they won't consider it third/junk unless its printed at that rate and really fits into that category. Since he's using a 1st class mail meter rate on a regular return envelope it could come back, it will likely depend on when that stamp is dated and how big of jerks your local postal people are. I'd probably just put my own 42 cent stamps on it, weird that a college pre-stamped it for you.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Thats true, if an automated machine gets to it, but if it ends up having to be electronically sorted by me (or the people who do my job), it might be pure muscle memory, seeing the .41, that classifies it as first class. We only have about half a second to identify and input the correct mailing class, and it's a real pain when postage increases slightly every so often because it takes a while to adjust to the new rates and be able to react to them so quickly.

So, like you said, it will probably come down to whoever handles that particular envelope. It wouldn't hurt (or be expensive) to either add a .1 stamp or just put your own .42 on there.

9. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I feel ya on that, its so weird when they constantly change the rates. I can't get used to seeing a $1.00 rate on a flat, so strange to have an even dollar instead of like .97. That sounds like a pretty intense job, I can't imagine having so little time to sort stuff. I recently got a nice Hassler machine that allows me to put a pile of mail in and then it weighs it and puts the correct postage on for me, its sweet (well as sweet as a postage machine can be). It would be nice if it could tell thickness as well, but alas, I will just continue guessing on that front.

10. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

The job itself isn't bad. It sounds pretty hard, but after doing it for a while, I'm able to do most of my job without even thinking about it. It gives me plenty of time to listen to some audiobooks that I otherwise wouldn't have time to read, and that's nice.

We all do appreciate people that send clean orderly mail, though. The whole purpose of my job is to sort illegible mail, and some of the stuff we come across is horrendous. I have no idea what goes through some peoples minds when they send out a letter. I've seen stuff like:

Bob Smith
    Casper, WY

The best way to guarantee your mail arrives on time is to write in clear, non-cursive print in a black pen. Even better is to type it onto the envelope in a plain normal font. If you have the whole zip code (zip plus the 4 extra digits), that works best.

Anyway, mods, sorry to continue this topic. The original question was already answered long ago.

11. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea, I didn't know it was 42 cents now.

You guys got me scared now. I sent it on the 24th, how long till it's "kicked back", if it does?

it5five,
    How long does standard take to arrive to it's destination? I wanted to arrive before June. It's being sent to one state over.

Thanks for the help

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I don't know how long standard takes. You will be fine, though. Don't worry about it not arriving. If it was going to be sent back to you it would have already. It's probably already either arrived at it's destination or will very shortly now (might be a slight delay because of Memorial Day. We still process mail on holidays, but of course, there is no delivery).