Is this power supply good for gtx 280?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bigpurp, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Bigpurp macrumors member

Is this power supply good for a gtx280 superclocked?
    If it doesn't supply enough amps through the 6 & 8 pin connectors I may end up under powering your GPU under heavy loads. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 40 Amps.)

These cards need two seperate PCIe power wires. One 6 pin and the other an 8 pin (or 6+2 pin). This card comes w/ an adaptor for the 8 pin to make it 6 pin though!

Would an Ultra LSP 650 be good enough? Like does it have the wires I need?

Link:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276573&Sku=ULT-LSP650

Im just looking for a cheap solution with these specs. If anyone can help that would be awsome!

( reason for buying another psu is so I dont have to order any wires for this card to work under windows in the mac pro and I can ensure ill have enough power for a fan too )

2. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

Why don't you just tap the two 6-pin ports on the Mac Pro's logic board?

No need to buy a separate power supply, jerry-rig the setup and risk barbecuing your system.

3. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Its half the fun!

4. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

That power supply you linked is a POS.

Get a Corsair VX550 or TX650 instead. Trust me.;)

5. Bigpurp thread starter macrumors member

Rofl. ya its a pos but its cheap! and if it has 40 amps then why not? 650tx is 120. :eek:

6. Bigpurp thread starter macrumors member

ya then I would have to order like 3 wires from 2 diff sites and then take that chance when I can just buy this down the street and it comes with the cables, or does it not?

7. Salavat23 macrumors 6502