Is this program out there?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by demarcopbl, Apr 24, 2010.

1. demarcopbl macrumors member

Not sure if this is the right section, but I need buying advice.

I need a database program that I can customize fields for an optical shop. I need to be able to create fields like customer name, email address, brand, frame purchased, opthalmic/sun etc etc.

Then I need to be able to sort this database based on search terms. For example, I need to be able to input a manufacturer (Oakley, for example) and have the database sort all the email addresses of people that purchased Oakley and export them to an email program so that the company can direct their email marketing at the relevant audience.

any suggestions, macrumors?

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

It sounds like a simple database project, so any database application might do. I don't have a lot of experience with databases, but I've used Filemaker. I believe that this is the premier database application. It's full featured, it does loads, it costs an arm and a leg. It's also cross platform and network capable.

There is also Bento, a consumer level database also put out by the Filemaker people. MS Office also has a database, though I don't know if MS makes one that is native to Macs (Don't know, as in I have no idea - they may or they may not.)

You might just try googling Mac and Database. You will find your answer there, I'm sure.

3. dunbar.will macrumors newbie

Eh, on Bento.

Not sure it will work for you. Great for. . . planning a party, or a grocery list, but really lacking in flexibility.