Is this RAM acceptable with the 1TB Fusion drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tommy0614, Jan 30, 2013.

1. tommy0614 macrumors member

2. large farva macrumors regular

Yes, that RAM will work with your iMac. BUT, be sure that you do not mix this RAM with the RAM already installed in your iMac. Because the RAM in your iMac has a different latency, which is CL11, and this RAM is CL9. This RAM will run fine, and actually faster, but it will only allow your computer to run the RAm at 1333 MHz if you mix the stock RAM. with this RAM. Either stick this Hyper X RAM in every slot for a total of 32GB, which is what a lot of people are doing, you'll be futureproof as hell. OR, remove the stock 8GB of RAM (the two 4GB modules), and replace them with these, to run 16GB of RAM.

3. Peakbagger macrumors newbie

I have this Kingston RAM installed on my iMac mixed with the stock RAM for a total of 24GB and all 4 sticks have been running at 1600mhz despite the different cas latency. No issues what so ever.

4. youeyemind macrumors member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg0xBjegI7A

5. large farva macrumors regular

Hmm. That's interesting. I think I remember you saying that on another thread where someone was asking about this same RAM. I dont know. Me personally, I would remove the factory RAM and just install the 16GB, because I have OCD, and having RAM with two different latencies would absolutely drive me crazy. I mean, yeah, the System Specs show that it's at 1600MHz, but my OCD would make me still think, "Well, what if it's just read the RAMs rated speed and not actually running at the 1600MHz." Or some crap like that. But it's 100% your call of course. If you want to mix the RAM, go right ahead. Me personally, if I was going to mix RAM, I would instead purchase the cheaper, Crucial RAM. Because it actually is CL11, same as the stock RAM, and also it's a LOT cheaper. The Kingston HyperX PnP you mention runs about $130 on Amazon, and $140 though Kingston. However, the Crucial RAM, only costs $90, and that's through Crucial directly. I think when I replace the RAM in my iMac, I think I'm just going to stick with Crucial RAM. Though I may actually say screw it and get the HyperX PnP.

6. strauss884 macrumors member

If I got the Crucial RAM should it work at full speed with the existing ram? 24GB is plenty for me and I hate to waste the existing 8GB just so I can get to 32GB. I'd rather use the $85 on something else to use with the CPU.