Is this RAM fine to purchase?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KustomRooR, Jan 20, 2016.

1. KustomRooR macrumors newbie

KustomRooR

Late 2015 iMAC 27"

I literally copied and pasted onto amazon, but I want to make sure because when it comes to anything but CAD or music I am not too literate with this kind of stuff.

Crucial Technology Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x 8GB) SODIMM DDR3 (PC3-14900) Memory Module Kit, Unbuffered, NON-ECC, 1.5V, CL10 CAS Latency, 1024Meg x 64

^^^ Will that work ?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Only purchase Crucial RAM directly from Crucial!!!! Do not buy from a reseller, the reason why is then Crucial knows it is going into your iMac. I'd also strongly recommend using OWC's RAM if you happen to live in the USA.

3. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

That should work just fine

4. KustomRooR thread starter macrumors newbie

KustomRooR

The OWC brand is the one that pops up more than any other brand.
    Just want to make it easier on my PC for CAD and some gaming on rust and CSGO.
    Thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2016 ---
    Is thw OWC brand that much better than crucial?
    Asking because it is about 50 dollars cheaper for 2x 8gb sticks

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Both are good brands, given the difference is only $50 I'd get the OWC.

6. KustomRooR thread starter macrumors newbie

KustomRooR

I was thinking with the price difference that maybe replace the lowly 8GB I have in the iMac currently, and just purchase two 16GB kits from crucial. So instead of 24 gb of ram running 32 gigs.

7. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

I've used dozens of OWC sticks in several machines, no problems ever.

8. bogg, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016

bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

The fact here is that the memory controller is built into the Skylake CPU and as so there's really no "Apple Specific" RAM.
    The question one should be asking is: "Does this RAM work with the Skylake CPUs?"

The only thing "Apple Specific" is basically what RAMs they shipped the computer with, any "iMac late-2015 Compatible" RAM you are going to find are just memories with the same speeds and latencies as Apples supplied RAMs. But that's in no way saying those are the only specifications that will work, basically any Skylake compatible DDR3L should work fine.

It's not like it was in the earlier days were the memory controller could be on a separate chip, or apple used their own chip and architecture which differed from an ordinary PC (Read: Prior to the Intel Switch).
    Basically since Intel merged the memory controller with the CPUs (Nehalem and beyond), this whole "Oh no, you got to buy Apple Compatible RAM!" discussion some people tend to repeat is getting old.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Absolutely not. The Crucial RAM is every bit as good as OWC and there is zero reason to pay an extra $50 to OWC.

Just a tip. Get the Crucial part number from their web site then search for that same Crucial part number on Amazon. Often for some reason it is cheaper on Amazon for the exact same Crucial RAM. There is no need to buy it directly from Crucial.