Is this RAM ok for late 2011 13" 2.4Ghz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thegrapeguy, Mar 29, 2012.

1. thegrapeguy macrumors newbie

Why I'm concerned is I already bought this today based on a recommendation in another thread and I later read in the specs that this is "240 - pin out"... I am now remembering something about my computer needing 204 pin...

http://amzn.to/Ht1nOp

What's the difference in the 204 pin vs 240 pin? Thanks...

2. simsaladimbamba

You need 204-pin SO-DIMM DDR3 RAM, the one you linked to is 240-pin DIMM DDR3 RAM, at least according to the listed specs, which might be wrong, but since there are other products, where the specs match the image/photo, it might be better to get that instead instead of the one you linked to.

3. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

240 is desktop RAM

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Your purchase is correct, the Amazon description is incorrect.

5. thegrapeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

What tells you that the description is wrong? Is there something in the title of the product? Thanks...

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Because this CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9 says everything.
    Amazon descriptions are often very unreliable.
    What matter is what show up on your bill, what is in the title. Everything else is just so so information.

7. simsaladimbamba

That means one can almost completely trust what is in the product title, even if the product description is differing? What if it also would have a photo of desktop RAM? I seriously ask, as I haven't had any experience with Amazon on the last seven years or so.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The photo is no more reliable than the description. The title states what you pay for. If you don't get what it says in the title you are allowed to have you money back.
    Title & price = contract.
    Picture & description is only for your information but not binding and on such websites quite often erroneous. You usually should check the manufactures website to get the details.

There usually has to be enough information in the title to 100% identify a specific product. That means model & series & configuration. That is why they put often those cryptic model numbers up that you can only make sense of by using the manufacturers homepage. It is a way of compressing the details.

9. thegrapeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

So what in the title (if we can trust that) confirms that? I don't see the number 204 anywhere... In the customer reviews (on the AMAZON link to what I bought) most talk about how happy they are using it for LapTop but one review mentions it's use with an IMAC...

10. simsaladimbamba

Corsair 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SODIMM Memory Kit (CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9)

11. Ccrew macrumors 68020

It's also interesting that the Amazon "most customers also buy" link is a 2.5" laptop drive.

iMacs and MBP's take the same memory though at least the current gen.

12. thegrapeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

According to tech support (via online support form) at Corsair - they say all CMSO RAM is 204 pin. So that's the code I guess but how the heck would I know that? I kind of knew I needed 204 pin but bought this blindly because in another thread on this board it was recommended for late model MacBooks... I didn't read the fine print till after I bought it...

Coincidentally as I was typing this reply Corsair called me to see if they had handled my case to my satisfaction. They said the CMSO was the right stuff for my MacBook. They said the Amazon link I sent them had a typo. They told me to contact Corsair for any other issues. They said if for any reason the RAM was possibly causing problems (i.e. bad RAM chip) in the future to contact them first for help and if they felt the RAM was suspect they would instruct me to exchange it through Amazon (in first 20-30days). If it was past that then they would take care of replacing my RAM for "lifetime".

The impression I get is good customer service...