Is this real or scam?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by spesifikbrush, Jan 8, 2017.

1. spesifikbrush macrumors regular

spesifikbrush

My mom got this mail yesterday, thinking that I did it. I instantly recognized that the mail uses an old layout. My mom didn't have an Apple device for 4 years, and didn't enter her credit card before too. The sender name looks weird: Itunes r. Is this real? Or scam? I wanted to make sure.

[​IMG]

2. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

3. mic j macrumors 68030

4. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

Within 2 seconds of that, I knew it's fake. The email title "Itunes (R)" is a dead giveaway. It's iTunes, not Itunes.

5. mic j macrumors 68030

There are a lot of different versions of this scam. I have to say, I did not notice anything on mine that would give it away, and I looked pretty close, but I could have missed some small detail I suppose. But even if it's not exact, there are going to be a lot of people click on the link because they didn't catch some spelling nuance. The thing that triggered my checking it out was that I already have Netflix and have never seen a charge for $39. Since I didn't remember doing anything with Netflix in a long time, that made me suspicious.

As these things go, I would consider this one of the more dangerous phishing emails.