Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spesifikbrush

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
My mom got this mail yesterday, thinking that I did it. I instantly recognized that the mail uses an old layout. My mom didn't have an Apple device for 4 years, and didn't enter her credit card before too. The sender name looks weird: Itunes r. Is this real? Or scam? I wanted to make sure.

9fcd3b3e522e7a93a830ee078fae5025.jpg

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Within 2 seconds of that, I knew it's fake. The email title "Itunes (R)" is a dead giveaway. It's iTunes, not Itunes.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Within 2 seconds of that, I knew it's fake. The email title "Itunes (R)" is a dead giveaway. It's iTunes, not Itunes.
There are a lot of different versions of this scam. I have to say, I did not notice anything on mine that would give it away, and I looked pretty close, but I could have missed some small detail I suppose. But even if it's not exact, there are going to be a lot of people click on the link because they didn't catch some spelling nuance. The thing that triggered my checking it out was that I already have Netflix and have never seen a charge for $39. Since I didn't remember doing anything with Netflix in a long time, that made me suspicious.

As these things go, I would consider this one of the more dangerous phishing emails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.