Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rnelan7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Boise
This summer I plan on buying a Mac, still undecided on which model to purchase. But, would it be possible to do this - I currently have a Hp laptop, could I take the HDD out of that and replace the superdrive with it? Would it be possible to boot windows straight off this exacltly how it was on my Hp laptop? Could I even partition the extra room for OS X storage? The main goal of this is so I can have everything on the new mac and not have to use the old hp laptop when needed.

-Thanks in advance for the advise and answers

05slvrscape

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Canada
When you get the new Mac take the HP drive out and use VMware Fusion to create a virtual of the drive and then you can access it any time you want. You can store the virtual on your internal or external drive.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
This summer I plan on buying a Mac, still undecided on which model to purchase. But, would it be possible to do this - I currently have a Hp laptop, could I take the HDD out of that and replace the superdrive with it? Would it be possible to boot windows straight off this exacltly how it was on my Hp laptop? Could I even partition the extra room for OS X storage? The main goal of this is so I can have everything on the new mac and not have to use the old hp laptop when needed.

-Thanks in advance for the advise and answers

If, and that's a big if, the drive fits (check physical dimensions) you can install it. However, you would have to format the drive. You could make a back up of the windows computer and load the old windows information to the new windows partition on your Mac.

Not that easy, though.

Good luck,

Habitus :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.