Is this really multitasking?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by whyapplewhy, Jun 21, 2010.

1. whyapplewhy macrumors member

Not sure if there is a problem here, but I am running IOS 4 on a 3rd generation ipod touch yet multitasking is not working to my satisfaction.

When I play a game and double click the home button and switch applications then switch back, the entire APP has to reload and starts from the beginning just like before, instead of resuming where I left off in the game. Is this how it is suppose to work? If this is the case then this isn't truly multitasking but just a faster way to switch applications.

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

The app, in this case the game you were playing, needs to be updated with the new multitasking APIs. Right now most apps haven't been updated and the 'multitasking' that is going on is just a fast app switcher GUI.

Nothing special is happening until apps are updated to take advantage of the new tools.

3. whyapplewhy thread starter macrumors member

Ah ok thanks for the clarification. I assume that it should just be a matter of time then before the applications are updated and this is working fully.

4. mac2x macrumors 65816

Get the iStat app for iPhone; it will give you a list of processes much like Activity Monitor on your Mac, so you can see what apps really run in the background and which do not. You'll also be able to see the memory usage and all that.