Is this refurb a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by goodtimes5, Nov 20, 2007.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo - White
    13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
    512MB memory (assume 1 GB since I have extra sticks lying around)
    60GB hard drive
    SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

For $800 from the Apple Store.

I'm getting a Macbook to switch my girlfriend who uses an oooold laptop with a 33 GB hard drive. She only uses laptops for casual things like go online, chat, type up essays. I know this Macbook would be adequate for those things, but am I getting my money's worth?

2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I think that's a pretty good deal, depending on how much tax you have to pay.

It's in line with used prices, but you get it from Apple with the full warranty...

3. jmack549 macrumors 6502

4. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

It was on the refurbished Macs section on the Apple Store website last night at 1 AM. They sold out already.

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Keep in mind that's a Core Duo not a Core 2 Duo.

6. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I know. Would it be more beneficial to buy a 2.0 Ghz Core Duo or a 1.83 Ghz Core 2 Duo? Same price. Core 2 Duo only has a combo drive.

7. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Dang, I never catch deals like that. I would prefer the Core Duo, simply for the Superdrive, and the fact that I don't do too many intensive tasks on my computer. Web browsing, writing papers. I honestly don't even think I'd be able to tell the difference in the two with the stuff I do on my laptops.

8. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Agreed. Only thing I'm worried about is that the Core Duo is the first generation Macbook, which has had its share of issues like discoloration and the heat and the sort.

9. jmack549 macrumors 6502

True. With all honesty maybe I would pick up the C2D and buy a cheap external drive. I just hate that you have to buy an upper end Macbook in order to get a Superdrive...

10. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

That's probably the best deal the refurb store ever offers, from a percentage discount perspective.

That machine was the mid-level $1299 model. For 800 bucks, that's 38% off.

You never know if a computer will develop problems, so don't worry about it being 1st generation. The bigger consideration is the RAM ceiling. A CD will take 2 GB, a C2D will take 3.3 GB.

11. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

RAM won't be an issue since 2 GB will be good enough most likely a few years from now. Would it be more beneficial to buy a 2.0 Ghz Core Duo or a 1.83 Ghz Core 2 Duo if they're both for the same price?

12. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Not to sound needy, but I really need someone to answer this question since the refurbs just got restocked and will sell out by tomorrow morning:
    Would it be more beneficial to buy a 2.0 Ghz Core Duo (first generation Macbook) or a 1.83 Ghz Core 2 Duo (second generation) if they're both for the same price?

13. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Personally, I'd go for the better processor (C2D), but then I have two computers with DVD burning capabilities, so the Superdrive is not an issue for me.

14. jmack549 macrumors 6502

If I had the money ATM, I would have definitely gone for the $799 one. Grrr...

15. aquajet macrumors 68020

The question really comes down to whether or not you want the Superdrive. You've already stated that RAM ceiling isn't an issue for you, and a C2D isn't going to allow you to do anything that couldn't be done on the CD. It might be marginally faster doing certain tasks, nothing more.