Is this rig legit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Drumintosh, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Drumintosh macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!

I've been a lurker around here for a long, long time, and decided to join to ask some advice.

I'm looking for a powerful rig that will be used with After Effects, doing some 3D rendering in Maya & Cinema 4D, Logic Pro, and basic tasks in Photoshop.

Currently, I have my heart set on a 6 or 8 core Mac Pro 4,1. I did some research, and it looks like it will offer the max amount of power in relation to how much I can spend. With the 09 model, upgrading the RAM won't cost the earth, and the GPU is obviously upgradeable.

But for a little while now, I've been noticing a seller on eBay offering some kind of custom machine that appears to outperform a basic 4,1 Mac Pro.

I'm not sure if links to eBay are allowed in this forum, but here it is for reference.

The seller, "micro_spa", claims the following:
    GTX TITAN CUSTOM INTEL MINI MAC PRO 4GHz+ 8 Core 1TB 128 SSD USB 3 16 GB RAM
    FASTER THAN LATEST WORKSTATIONS OF ALL SIZES & SHAPES!!"

He is listing that model for $1692.74 (with free shipping). He also states a three year warranty on the parts, To me, it sounds a bit scammy. However, I checked out his feedback, and it's 100% (apparently, there have been others that purchased this rig).

It sounds like this is definitely real, but I'm a bit wary on it. I Googled his seller name and the eBay title, but I couldn't find anything on it.

Does anyone know if this is real, underpowered and overhyped, or if there is some caveat to working with the machine? Is an 8 core 4,1 Mac Pro going to out-perform this?

I'd really appreciate any help on this. I know a lot of things are "too good to be true", but this seems like it's an exception.

I'm planning on purchasing a new rig by the end of the summer - mid fall, so I'm not in a rush to buy anything.

2. chrfr, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014

chrfr macrumors 604

No this is not legit.
    The ad is certainly deceptive. It's a 4-core CPU, not an 8. The computer appears to not actually have a GPU installed but instead has Intel HD 4000 graphics, same as a 2012 Mac Mini.

It looks wildly overpriced to me.
    The CPU sells for about $330.
    Storage is about $200 or less.
    RAM: $150 or less
    Board, enclosure, and power supply can't possibly be worth $1000.

3. COrocket macrumors 6502

I would be incredibly skeptical based on the description, which sounds sketchy. If it really has what it says, the i7-3770 is a four core processor. I'm not sure how you would fit a full size graphic card in a 2x8x9" enclosure, which isn't much larger than a mac mini. Even if you did there would be serious cooling issues. On top of all that, you will have the issues with software/firmware/updates that hackintosh users have to deal with when running OSX on other than apple hardware. I would go with the Mac Pro 4,1

4. Imaginator macrumors regular

You're a creative professional and you believe this stuff? Where do you work? I'm curious.

5. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

The Titan is 12 inches x 8 inches x 2 inches. That machine you are looking at is a joke.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Maybe the seller bent the Titan in half?

Still looking at the picture it's obviously not a real Mac.

7. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Obviously I wouldn't trust a seller yelling in its ad :)

8. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

It's just a small hackintosh, no way a titan would fit in that case either.

9. gochi macrumors 6502

if you see a small mac mini listed with the words gtx titan you know its not realy.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just looks like a keyword spammer.

Funny he says "8-core logic" because each physical hyperthreading core in an Intel processor is two logical cores.

Anyways the listing is no longer available, so I'm guessing it's be delisted.

11. chrfr macrumors 604

It's been relisted.